Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Is this casue by the oil flow problems in the bottom end of the y8? Maybe upgrade the block since it is apart to the newer z6? Im asking for my own good as well as OP.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
No; there's not really a problem with the block. The Y8 block and Y7 block are almost the exact same and you don't see as many Y7's with spun bearings. I think it has to do with how there driven and how well their maintained.

OP just go and get any Y7 or Y8 block and do a re-build. Make sure you use and matching set of pistons tho.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
^ thank you

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
You could just run a z6 crank if I'm not mistaken. The others are fine as well. But replace all your bearings. Your in there anyways. And get new rods and pistons IMHO

·
Registered
982 Posts
Is this casue by the oil flow problems in the bottom end of the y8? Maybe upgrade the block since it is apart to the newer z6? Im asking for my own good as well as OP.
no, the oiling issue is on all D series motors, including Z6s. You see it more on Y8 and Z6's(yes I said Z6) because of the added strain the vtec port puts on the oiling system, but that does not mean you don't see it on non vtec motors. Just do all you can to improve the oiling system by porting, chamfering, and enlarging bearing passages as well as doing all your regular maintenance and you will be doing as much as you can to prevent this. In the end it is what it is, a bad oiling design. This almost always happend on rod 1 or 4 the two furthest away from the oiling passageway which would indicate the lowest pressure & flow.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
no, the oiling issue is on all D series motors, including Z6s. You see it more on Y8 and Z6's(yes I said Z6) because of the added strain the vtec port puts on the oiling system, but that does not mean you don't see it on non vtec motors. Just do all you can to improve the oiling system by porting, chamfering, and enlarging bearing passages as well as doing all your regular maintenance and you will be doing as much as you can to prevent this. In the end it is what it is, a bad oiling design. This almost always happend on rod 1 or 4 the two furthest away from the oiling passageway which would indicate the lowest pressure & flow.
I have a y8 and sold a hatch with mini me y8. The mini me lost it on 1 in a long fast corner at PIR, two motors. pThey ported the oil pump and changed over to a Z6 block. They (pre) are racing it again, chump series, soon so we will see if it helped. On my daily I was wondering about the oil pump and reading up. Sorry to thread steal OP tryin to help both in one thread...thanks for the help guys.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I would put a Z6 or A6 crank in it. Screw a Y anything.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i could have sworn a z6 crank does not fit the y8. or maybe it was the oil pump. i knopw d-series love to throw rods and they love to spin bearings.
if i can swap a z6 crank im about to grab one from the junkyard.
cranks are 30 bucks
but then again i might as well pick up a block like a y7 or a6

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Even if you got a y crank you could chamfer the oiling holes to help with oiling and I'm pretty sure porting a d oil pump is a must. I ported mine and at wot I think it hits around 80psi at about 4k and cruising at 3k its about 48psi. Im pretty sure all d16 cranks are the same but maybe the ys have the crank pulley key in a slightly different spot?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts