Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is several months old but I thought I would share it here at D-series.org too.

I figured I would share some of my recent work in prep for my double race in April and the rest of the season this year. I chose Koyo bearings and wanted to repack them since I went down from Integra hubs to the smaller Civic hubs. The hubs were from a buddy that was tracking them, I should have taken pics of the old bearings but they were cooked. This was just from HPDE events and street driving.

The reason I dropped down to the smallest Civic setup was because of the 11in Wilwood kit I acquired. I also have brake ducting to keep things cooler at the center hub so I expect this to last me at least this season and longer.

I used Amsoil 2000 racing grease, this should help with the the higher temps the bearings were really never intended to see.

Repacking Civic/Integra wheel bearing:

Take a flat tip screwdriver, slide it between the two inner races

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Twist screwdriver until one of the races pops up then alternate from side to side until one pops out. This may take a little effort to get the first one off.

Once the first one is out, you can tap the other half of the inner race out (by hand or tiny hammer). I set the outer race on the two plates from the press giving the inner race room to fall out when I tapped it (you can also use two pieces of wood ).

Now you can clean out all of the original grease that came in the bearing.

I also popped out all of the ball bearings from the cage to get the rest of the grease out.

Comparison of the original grease(waxy looking stuff on the Right) to the Amsoil Race Grease (left)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I started by packing in some grease under the seal before I replaced the ball bearings

After replacing the ball bearings, pack in more grease on top of the ball bearings and between the cages

Don't get too carried away by packing too much grease in there, just enough to fill the gaps. Otherwise a lot of it will squeeze out when you replace the inner races.

Reverse order to put it all back together, be careful not to damage the seals.

Press these bad boys into your knuckles and go have some fun!

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Nice bro! Didn't know you could do that! I may do this in the future.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Some greases in new SEALED bearings are not meant to be replaced. They have special characteristics like "break in oil" has for fresh engines.

Just a heads up. I would use a sealed bearing just the way it came from the mfg.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Sure, on a car that is stock and mostly standard, I'd agree with you, but . . . I do think that what I will be putting my CRX through eventually will warrant some better grease on everything. It seems that the RRAX crowd thinks anyone who races and doesn't do this is pretty retarded.

I'm probably overthinking this, as usual. heh

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Bearings are engineered for specific load targets, all of which are likely exceeded when going to sticky, wide tires and normally extralegal speeds.

I speak enough engineer to have a clue. :p

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
I would be more concerned about damaging an otherwise good bearing by removing the race and hoping everything went back together correctly.

But hey, good for you for taking this on and seeing it through.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Right, more power to you for trying it. Not at all saying its a bad idea, I was just saying that I would be more concerned about screwing it up than the potential benefits. I'm overly paranoid about things. The small things like grease quantity and the sealing characteristics once reassembled would always be on my mind

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Because excessive heat in the hub from the brakes can break the OEM grease down and this can happen as well.......

This is a TOP LEVEL SCCA ITA CRX, Honda hubs and bearings are considered consumables.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts