Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the drivers side ball joint off with the pickle fork in 2 seconds. When I made my attempt on the passenger side, I was not as lucky. I used the pickle fork for like 30 minutes, I hit the LCA on each side for 30 mins a piece, I am sure I broke the ball joint by now. Tried jacking the LCA then lowering the car with a ratched wedged, nothing. Something looks off on the threading like it went into the LCA or something. Should I just get a torch and heat the bitch? What do I do after heating it, bang it wit a BFH? all advice greatly appreciated.

Car 91 ef hatchback
cable tranny

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
buy a 2 ton puller from napa for like 20 bucks, i was able to take everything off without problem, maybe used the puller two times completely before it started to bend. so it might help a little bit

·
Registered
90 CRX hf
101 Posts
When reinstalling, be sure and grease those mating surfaces where the ball joint goes into the knuckle, makes life much easier next time... Just take castle nut loose, 1 good hit with hammer, and theyre loose.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Not all pickler forks are created equal! The cheapo one that my friend got at Harbor Freight the fork teeth were not thick enough for our Hondas. We then rented one at AutoZone and ended up keeping it cuz it was perfect! Beefy teeth and worked flawlessly on our Hondas.

·
Registered
99 integra ls-DD
384 Posts
normally i just disconnect the tie rod and upper UCA 2 bolts to take out axels if lower ball joint dont let go,

would disconnect tie rod mess up with alignment?

·
Registered
94 civic dx
688 Posts
Not if you mark it 1st and put it back exactly how it came off. But the method listed earlier soundz lke the way to go. Jack and 3/8 ratchet FTW!!!

·
Registered
95 Sol, 96 CBR900RR
10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
i use one of these styled tools : OEM/Pitman tie rod arm puller for compact cars and smaller pitman arms (27022) | Pitman Arm Puller | AutoZone.com

smacking your balljoint with a hammer is only gonna destroy it, and those pickle forks or what ever are going to destroy the rubber cover very quickly etc.

the puller works quick and easy. pops right out.
:closed:

used one of these once, then went back and bought one. simply the easiest way to separate tie rods and ball joints.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know I am a little late but if I think I know what your talking about its the arm that sits on or below the bushing and be careful banging on it or you will fuck the threads up on the A frame or whatever that big a shaped thing is called. Me and my buddy learned the hard way we fucked his threads up with a BFH his car so he is gonna be out the money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts