Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D16z6, how do I remove this beast, do I need an impact gun? Also how do I keep it from spinning while I'm turning it?

·
Registered
435 Posts
well you can use a strap wrench to hold the pulley itself then bust it loose with a socket or use and impact gun and you dont have to worry bout it spinning or they also make a special tool that will fit the pulley and hold it in place while you loosen the bolt you can get that from summit for like 60$

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so there's no neat tricks to make my life easier?, Is itr at least a regular threaded bolt, i.e. loose to the left?

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
yes its a regular bolt and you just have to keep at it. Ive heard of people taking off the starter and jammin somethin in the flywheel to keep the crank from spinnin but to each his own.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
I hit a crank pulley bolt on with an air impact... now I cant get it off :cussing:

·
Registered
435 Posts
you got problems but anywayz i have also heard of wedging things into the flywheel and putting the car in gear but if you were supposed to do it that way then they wouldnt have tools to do it with do it right the first time and wrong twice is good advice to take in mind

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
i've never been able to get one off with an impact gun, basically you can run a hardened punch through one of the holes on the pulley and wedge it under the oil pan lip and then one on the other side using the block, Then use some extensions and a breaker bar with a big ass cheeter bar and pull like hell and hope nothing breaks. notice this is how i've always done and havent tore anything up yet, but if it does with you dont hold me accountable

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
I think jamming something in the crank pulley holes like you described might have bent the pulley... I need to get it off to find out.

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An IR gun like my 2135QTi, don't hate too bad lol, it's actually my wifes.:p

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah definitly use an impact gun. I have never had a problem getting one off with a gun. Just put it back on by hand.

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah so I hit it with an Ingersol Rand 2135QTi = Bad ass impact gun! Still didn't budge, I think I need a better compressor I don't know 150 psi seems pretty strong?

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
put a big breaker bar on the bolt, lower the car so the handle of the breaker bar touches the ground. crank the car over, but don't start it. it should knock it right off. worked for me...

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
impact gun ftw...ive broken so many breakerbars on those fawkin crankpulley bolts...arrrrg

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
holding the pulley still with a strap wrench and sandpaper > wedging something in the flywheel

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
1,903 Posts
put a big breaker bar on the bolt, lower the car so the handle of the breaker bar touches the ground. crank the car over, but don't start it. it should knock it right off. worked for me...
I would like to know how this worked on a honda motor, when the motor runs "counter clockwise" and the crank bolt tightens "clockwise", therefore when you put the wrench on it and "bump" the key for the starter to engage you will be tightening the bolt, not loosening it. i've done that kinda shit on ford and chevys but it won't/don't work on or D-Series motors.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
tightening the bolt a little will initially break it loose. i use impact guns when i take mine off and when i put it back on. pbblaster helps on some things but ive never had to try it on a crank pulley bolt.

·
Registered
390 Posts
you got problems but anywayz i have also heard of wedging things into the flywheel and putting the car in gear but if you were supposed to do it that way then they wouldnt have tools to do it with do it right the first time and wrong twice is good advice to take in mind
LOL...you got problems...rofl...

anyways...ya impact gun all the way...if you don't have access to a good one, just try slapping that baby in a car and driving to a tire shop and see if you can pay a kind stranger like $5 to bust them off for ya (worth a shot imo)...its a 17mm bolt just the same as the flywheels...trust me there is no "trick" to doing this...I broke 2 ratchet's yesterday just trying to take flywheels off (and jamming a screwdriver in the the flywheel to stop it...dumb...I mean you can make it work but why? there is a RIGHT way to do it...), then I just waited for sexicivic to get home and had him bust them off with his impact gun...took what 2minutes for the flywheels and crank shaft pulleys on 2 blocks...IMPACT GUN FTW! :honda:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts