Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** i dont know if this should be in "how to" or "engine building"***

ok well i finally picked up a winter beater to drive while i rebuild my car. i drive a 93 civic cx hatch with a z6 swap. my new winter beater is a 90 civic hatch with a sohc non vtec ZC in it. and its auto. i HATE automatic cars. but shit will do till my ride is done. so i am trying to take my engine out so i can start my rebuild. so i figured i would make a how to thread on removing your engine. step by step picture by picture. so here we go....

here is what i started with. i was lucky and didnt have to worry about A/C or powersteering.

******************REMOVE THE BATTERY**********************
its not very hard... just undo the 2 bolts holding on your terminals

BASICS
remove your intake and any additional things u have added to the bay that will interfer with your removal. i had my strut bar i needed to remove but that was it.

first thing u want to do is make some room in the bay. start by draining the coolant and removing the rad. there is a drain plug on the bottom on the rad and there should be a spot in the plastic cowel exposing it. get your drain pan under there and slowly remove the drain plusg till it starts dripping. then keep slowly removing it till it is out. by doing it slow i avoiding covering my arm in coolant. opening your rad cap speeds the process. once the rad is empty u can remove your top rad hose(circled in black in first picture) and lower rad hose to drain remaining coolant. then remove the rad. there is only one bolt holding it on there(circled in redin very irst picture). its the bolt right on top. undo it once it is remove the overflow. should just lift out. same as the rad. unclip the sensor aswell..... kinda common sense. once out u will have this

next step. plugs. undo all your main harness plugs. there are 3 on each side beside the front shocks(circled in white in very first picture) u also want to unplug your oxygen sensor, transmission sensors, map sensor and anything else u can find that isnt connected to the main harness's. dont disconnect anything attached to the motor by the main harness. u are just wasting time. and make sur to remove the mounts holding the main harness to the body. i am removing the engine harness with the engine since it will be easier but some of the wires have clips attached to the body that will need to be removed.

now i didnt do this next but it would have helped probabaly. remove your header/manifold. unbolt the manifold at the block. its just 9 bolts. then crawl under the car and undo the flex bolts(no picture unfortunatly) once they are undone just shimmy it out from the bay. that clears up some space.

next i guess we can do the mount bolted to the tranny. not sure exactly what it is. its 3 bolts on the front of the tranny. just undo all three like so....

next u can disconnect the fuel filter. undo the highlighted bolt only. u will lose a small amount of fuel from this but it was very minimal. i think if u undo the gas cap first to release the pressure u could eliminate any fuel loss. u can alos undo the vaccume line attached to the FPR.(second picture)

next u are going to undo your vacumm/coolant lines at the rear of the block.
there are 2 main lines connecting to your manifold. i undid the one at the fire wall and the other at the manifold. the one i undid at the manifold(right tip of arrow) i pushed onto the firewall and the one on the firewall(left tip of arrow) i pushed onto the manifold. making a loop. just incase any coolant was to come out when removing the engine. here is a pic with an arrowing showing the 2 lines i looped. they are not looped in this picture.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just take a look on the back of the engine to see of there are any other random hoses connected. i couldnt get pictures of them all but there really wasnt many.

now u can disconnect the hydraulic line connected to the transmission. its a flexable line coming off of the tranny which connects halfway to the hardline.
get a small bottle to catch the clucth fluid that will come out of the resevoir when u do this. here is a picture of the line after i disconnected it and shoved it into a bottle. u can see the flex line bent back towards the block. i just shoved it into the block to get it out of the way.

after this i started looking for any other connections. i undid the main ground which u can see in the above picture behind the bottle. u alos need to undo the alternator/starter ground. simply start moving your arm around the block and if anything stops u just look at what it is and see if it is necessary to unbolt. at this point u can undo your throttle cable if u havent already done so aswell. i didnt do it my friend did so i cant even say how but it is extreamly simple. just look at it and u will know how.

once u are dont all that i belive your engine will now only be held in by about 5 things.

1)tranny mount bolt
2) right engine mount
3) rear main mount
4)right and left cv axels
5) shift linkage.
it was wayyyyyy to freaking cold at this point to continue so i am taking a break untill i get a slightly warmer day. i need to pop off the wheels. undo the lower ball joint and wishbone so i can remove the driversdie CV axel. i will pop the other CV out as i lift the engine out so i dont need to take off the passenger side wheel. here is how she sits right now

more to come soon hopefully.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not only out side but outside in the middle of the winter in canada on my neighbors driveway lol.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dang man you are having to work for it!

Just a tip...if you unbolt the slave cylinder from the front of the tranny and the support bracket on the top of the tranny (4 bolts total) you can avoid clutch fluid loss and just move the slave cyl out of the way!

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
woot! for thuggin it out in the elements. good luck keep it updated and take lots of pics. just because haha.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol i am trying to save a few bucks to buy a big like 20x40 tarp and then that will atleast stop the wind. then get some halogen worklights casue they give off some heat. or even a small space heater sitting in the engine bay to keep my hands from going numb. its the wind that kills me. it was -10 the other day but no wind and i was out in a t shirt. i am used to the canadian cold but WIND>me lol

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still to effing cold out to do anything. hopefully monday i will get some more time to go at it again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
cold winter monts

damn outside in the middle of winter
u got balls bro
also i love it when there is pictures.
all wirte ups and diy are a must with piscs
so far pics and info are top notch....
keep it up
u r a die hard honda mech..

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol wait till u guys see the build i have planned. snow is just cold fluffy rain. i work in the rain to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
awesome word man. whereabouts in canada? I'm in ottawa and about to start my build in my bedroom lol. no more room elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i am about an hour north of toronto. i will be building mine in my crawl space. i still have my legos set up from when i was like 6 building little square cars. i have tomorrow off so i am gonna get everything possible done and if possible the engine out. hope for the best :)

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Yeah man, that's die-hard mechanic work there! Reminds me of "trying" to install tint on my hatch in the wind...no fun and cold as sh!t.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts