Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says how do you remove them from a 98 ex?mine have become rusted and i want to paint them when it gets a lil warmer....do they just come off with a little tug or do i need to unbolt some shit to get them off?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
as the title says how do you remove them from a 98 ex?mine have become rusted and i want to paint them when it gets a lil warmer....do they just come off with a little tug or do i need to unbolt some shit to get them off?
Before you remove them spray some brake cleaner in the little slot to help get that brake dust out, or you can use a hose.

Gonna have to remove the dust cap thats in the center of the drum. Then remove the cotter pin that is holding the spindle bolt in. Next remove the spindle bolt (gonna need a big socket). Then the drums should slide off.

When you put the drums back lub the bearing in the center with a little bearing grease and slide it back on. Don't tighten the spindle nut too much or you will screw up the bearing.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
1,903 Posts
Dude!! you don't have to do all that to remove the drum. just put 2 bolts into the holes in the drum and make sure the E-Brake is down and then crank the bolts down evenly and it should pull right off...................................

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Dude!! you don't have to do all that to remove the drum. just put 2 bolts into the holes in the drum and make sure the E-Brake is down and then crank the bolts down evenly and it should pull right off...................................
i believe mine are held in that way, let me go check really quick.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i believe mine are held in that way, let me go check really quick.
ok i was waaaaaaaaaaaay wrong. its like the other guys said just tug on it or use the bolt to help ease it out.

I ASSumed the drum brakes were the same as the ones on my old 85 accord. it had the wheel studs in the the drum itself. the spindle bolt held the drum on the spindle. well you know what they say about ASSuming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts