Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Wild Bush Appeared!"
???
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched.

Hey, for some reason, I don't think I have rod knock. I think that I have piston slap and thats whats causing the loud knocking. If it were rod knock I would have lost alot of power and I haven't lost any, just when it gets hot (driving normal for like 20 minutes) it kills itself and doesn't hold oil pressure. If its piston slap, thats an easy fix isn't it? Just get the block rehoned or whatever? Well, if you can tell me how to take the Y8 head off my block so I can take a look inside i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
if it were me i would still check the rods just to be safe, and since i dont think piston slap is going to effect oil pressure i am going to lean toward rod knock anyway

pretty easy to remove the head, and since i feel generous i will tell how....

btw this is very abbreviated

drain coolant
drain oil
unbolt intake manifold
remove header/exhaust manifold
remove valve cover
remove timing belt
remove power steering pump
remove cam
unhook wire harnesses that connect to head
remove head botls in proper order

its all in the service manual... GET ONE

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Not trying to be an ass but how do you expect to remedy "piston slap" once you have the head off? Just seems like a lot of work for nothing.

You sure it's not your valves making noise?

·
"Wild Bush Appeared!"
???
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not trying to be an ass but how do you expect to remedy "piston slap" once you have the head off? Just seems like a lot of work for nothing.

You sure it's not your valves making noise?
Yeah. the valves are 100% fine. Its something in the block. Not sure though I just want to make sure I know what it is and what it isn't. If im not mistaken, white smoke is oil burning and I had that shit pouring out of the wheel wells when I cam up to my house. Not to mention that loud knock got worse as hell.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
white smoke is not always oil burning...it can be coolant or moisture

blue smoke is oil burning for sure

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
white smoke is not always oil burning...it can be coolant or moisture

blue smoke is oil burning for sure
Yeah, plus if it's oil there's no mistaking the smell.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The y-series are know to spun rod bearings. Is this a y8 block?

im with him its prolly a spun beaing. if you got white smoke you could have bad rings so there is pressure in the crank case making it pour out white smoke. i did that to my lude. i compressed the ring lands the thing looked like i was constantly doing a hella burn out.:bong:

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
if it were me i would still check the rods just to be safe, and since i dont think piston slap is going to effect oil pressure i am going to lean toward rod knock anyway

pretty easy to remove the head, and since i feel generous i will tell how....

btw this is very abbreviated

drain coolant
drain oil
unbolt intake manifold
remove header/exhaust manifold
remove valve cover
remove timing belt
remove power steering pump
remove cam
unhook wire harnesses that connect to head
remove head botls in proper order

its all in the service manual... GET ONE
No need to drain oil or remove the cam.

I would add:

Remove air intake
Remove dizzy and wires
Disconnect fuel input line
Disconnect fuel return line

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
just when it gets hot (driving normal for like 20 minutes) it kills itself and doesn't hold oil pressure.
Pull your oil pan, I'll bet there's a layer of what used to be bearing on the bottom of the oil pan.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Pull your oil pan, I'll bet there's a layer of what used to be bearing on the bottom of the oil pan.
X2!

And for a fact when your burning oil, you will see a puff of blue smoke. If your blowing white smoke, could definetly be your HG going to. Any oil coming off the block of leaks anywhere?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts