Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Yesterday I received my chipped OBD1 ECU and conversion harness and I was wondering if I can remove my charcoal canister with out getting a CEL? I currently have the engine removed from my car and want that thing out of there. I'm going to be tuning my car myself using crome pro but I don't want a check engine light because I removed the sensors. I know if I were to remove it and stay OBD2B I would throw a code but I don't know if OBD1/ crome look for it.

Any help Would be great.

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
So if I pinch/block off the return line will it pass emissions? Like sounds stupid but they have a procedure for looking for a charcoal canister. What about if I just move my black catch can with red hoses to the charcoals spot...

·
Banned
367 Posts
So if I pinch/block off the return line will it pass emissions? Like sounds stupid but they have a procedure for looking for a charcoal canister. What about if I just move my black catch can with red hoses to the charcoals spot...
if you have emissions just leave it hooked up.. once you pass remove it lol.

just remember to keep it and all hoses around for when your next test comes :bigok:

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
what exactly does the charcoal canister do? i was looking at it the other day and was like....what kind of good does this damn thing do?

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
o ok. so does it rob ANY power at all. doesnt seem like it would if all its doing is that.
No it doesnt effect power at all. The vacuum line from the canister to the manifold is just so it can purge and burn some of the vapors in the canister. Nothing thats going to add or subtract power.

·
Registered
92 Posts
^^ exactly what he said!! the only "useful" reasons i can see to remove one would be

you live in a state that doesnt have emissions

you need the vac port on the intake for somethng else (highly unlikely b/c its so small)

you need the room on the fire wall for a catch can

not that good of reasons really... but that all i can think of lol

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
thats what i was thinking. i live in a county where we dont have emissions but if it isnt stealing any power why screw with it. im leaving mine alone...i need as few problems as possible lol

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
looks better without but i must keep mine cali sucks but it wont trigger a cel.

·
Registered
same as above
1,084 Posts

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
So just leave it open for the vapors to vent to the atmosphere?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts