Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
The road
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to pull my motor and trans for a rebuild but cant seem to get the axle nut loose. Is the a trick to doing this. I did what the book said and used a pry bar between the wheel studs but all that did was bend the bar, I fell so yeah. :cussing: Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
First make sure the ring on the nut isnt smashed down into the groove of the axle, thats the way they lock the nut. If so just bend it up and out of the way.
Then follow steps put steeling back on, tighten lugs, lower car, have friend push brake pedal, use big F-ing breaker bar to loosen the the axl nut.

·
Registered
The road
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I already got it unleyed. Never thought about using the stock steelie and brake.

·
Registered
The road
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah but I have a really old montgomery wards compress that sux. All it really is good for is painting. But I have to get the motor out first.

·
Registered
510 Posts
$200 for impact and $400 for the air compressor. Probably my favorite tool besides the cordless impact. And everyone is your friend once they find out you have a big ass impact. :p

I just realized that in the last year I've spent more on tools than I have on my car as a whole.

·
Registered
353 Posts
try using a "cheater bar". This is when you put a pipe over the end of the breaker bar so you have more leverage. Make sure that you get the wheel back on and get it on the ground. Get the bar on the nut and then just literally JUMP on the end! Worked for me. Good luck:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a big air compressor at home but my impact is a cheapy, and the air line is small. I just use a cry bar in between the studs (with lug nuts on), cheap impact, with a pipe wrench on the socket and a six foot cheater on the end.
No kiddin, my old man even pulls on the cheater. Sounds crazy but the impact shocks it, while the pipe wrench brakes it free.

·
Registered
The road
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the pry bar between the lugs and bent it. Snap on man is gonna love me when I get a new one from him. Im gonna try it with the stockers when it warms up a lil. Not that 20 is warm. But it could be worse We could have 110in like NY.

·
Registered
The road
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok getting a new air compressor sometime this week. So even if it doesnt help with the axle nuts it will help on lots of other projects and things I plan on doing. (paint,body work, air nailer for the house work ECT...) I think im gonna need a bigger garage now though. Hopefully I can get enought of refinancing my house....

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Words of advice, buy the Ingersoll Rand Composite Impact 1/2 Drive from sears or online, its one bad mofo and is light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts