Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the easiest way to remover the axles?

i think mista bone should be an expert at these, give me some ideas.

it takes forever for me to remove and install axles...IMO this is the hardest part of changing a clutch, tranny, or motor swap.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just use a 17" breaker bar with a 3 1/2 ft pipe over it, get that spindle nut off, then I pound the ball joint remover in there. Once that's separated, I lightly tap on the inside of the axle (to back it out slowly from the hub). Works pretty well, I guess. I'd be open to easier ways if there are any.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
pry bar and air tools had my axle out in 5 minutes last night.

took wheel off, removed 32mm axel nut, got ball joint seperator and popped ball joint out. removed bolt on bottom of shock, tapped out axle and moved caliper/rotor out of the way. used prybar to pop axel out of tranny, done.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea it's the ball joint i have problems with, where can i find this tool? how much does it go for. the 32mm nut and everything else is easy, it's just getting that ball joint off the LCA.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
you can go to a kragen or autozone and do their tool rental thing. or just buy one, they are not that expensive. they certainly come in handy.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
pickle forks ruin ball joints. Just undo the bolt at the bottom and pull it to the side. Dont remove the actual ball joint. As far as the axles, I just used a crowbar and pushed. Just make sure the little circle "c" clip thing doesnt get stuck inside the axle housing.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
there's a DIY for changing the ISB in a transmission... part of it shows how to take off the ball joint with a breaker bar and a floor jack. Search for it... there's even a nice video...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you mean take the actual ball joint off (completly), its not needed to remove the axles. If you mean remove the ball joint from the actual lower control arm, then yeah, a jack and pry bar will work fine.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
Once my car is in the air, I can have both wheels off and axles out in under 5 minutes!!!!!!

But then again I out anti-sieze on the ball joints also!!!!!

Air tools!!!!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I did mine in about 30 minutes. No air tools. 1 breaker bar, take off the bottom screw on the ball joint, take off the steering knuckle thingy, then pryed the axles out with a crowbar....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
transzex said:
Air tools!!!!!
I'm afraid my 2.5hp compressor doesn't quite pack enough punch to remove the spindle nut :(..but hey- my $10 pipe from home depot does! :)

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
The easiest way to seperate your ball joint without damaging it is to remove the wheel, remove the ball joint castle nut, put a jack under the hub, jack up the hub assembly enough to compress the suspension a little and then take a 5lbs sledge to the side of your lower control arm near the ball joint(there is a little tab on the side I aim for. After a few calculated blows, the ball joint should "pop" loose on it's own. Tadaa!!! Hope this helps.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
pffft, seperating ball joints is for n00bs.

just unblot the fork, upper A and shock, turn the steering wheel and out comes the shaft.

Pickle forks break ball joint seals. Especially if you have an 88-91, since they are OLDER THAN DIRT.

I've done too many shaft swaps on my 88-91's

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got them off now, i bought a new handy tool. makes it MUCH MUCH easier, before it would take me a loooong time removing the ball joint from the front lca.

but in the process of removing the ball joint, i kinda messed up the ball joint bolt...i'll post up a new thread in the suspension section, how to replance the ball joint.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
calboi510 said:
i got them off now, i bought a new handy tool. makes it MUCH MUCH easier, before it would take me a loooong time removing the ball joint from the front lca.

but in the process of removing the ball joint, i kinda messed up the ball joint bolt...i'll post up a new thread in the suspension section, how to replance the ball joint.
see what happens when you pop ball joints, you break them. Should have listened to me ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
mrnicolas said:
pry bar and air tools had my axle out in 5 minutes last night.

took wheel off, removed 32mm axel nut, got ball joint seperator and popped ball joint out. removed bolt on bottom of shock, tapped out axle and moved caliper/rotor out of the way. used prybar to pop axel out of tranny, done.
:werd: i do the same thing- but i just use a screw driver instead of a pry bar... took me maybe 7 to 10 minutes to remove each axle...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea that's what i bought and used. it works great! i just crused one of the ball joints though, hehe.

before, what i'd used to do was jack up the lca arm, and hammer the lca where the ball joint went through until it "broke" loose.

i felt like a caveman doing that, and it would take a long time because i couldn't get under my car in the right position to hammer it, but now that i have this tool, removing the axle should be easy from now on. it only took me a total of 10 minutes to get both axles out, that's a big improvement over 30-45 minutes.

but next time i'll take extra precaution not to crush the ball joint bolt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts