Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I acquired an imported JDM D17A which appears to be very very clean.

I want to throw ARPs and a new OEM head gasket on it, so I took off the head with an impact gun, following the removal sequence.

I know the manual says to turn the bolts 1/3 turn at a time, but it was difficult to do with the engine on a dolly.

The head surface and block surface are very clean, the head gasket looks very new and is OEM.

What are the chances that the head warped from my removal? The engine was stone cold during this.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,097 Posts
Im going to go with

slim to none for 500$ jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rock on, I'll probably just slap it back together.

I don't really trust the machine shop around here, lol.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
You could have still broke it loose with the impact and then got a wrench to do it right the rest of the way....

What sequence did you use to unbolt it anyhow.

The surface wont show you if it's warped or not. You need a feeler gauge to know for sure. Just measure it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was trying to do but the impact ended up spinning them fast and out.

3-5-9-7-1 --->Front of engine
2-8-10-6-4

is the order in which I removed them.

I would check them but I don't have the straight edge to measure against.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Why did you open the head to begin with. I will say that a d17 head is harder to seal up than the other Honda's I have dealt with so make sure the head and block aren't warped at all. Also when you say the gasket looks like new please tell me you aren't reusing that gasket...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why did you open the head to begin with. I will say that a d17 head is harder to seal up than the other Honda's I have dealt with so make sure the head and block aren't warped at all. Also when you say the gasket looks like new please tell me you aren't reusing that gasket...
I want to put ARP studs in and a new OEM head gasket. I have a brand new replacement for it. I just mentioned it looked like new to give you a guys an idea on the condition of the engine.

I will check the threads carefully guys. Thanks!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Ive done that before on engines that were getting thrown out and I just quickly ripped off the heads with impacts, etc... and used them myself down the road without issues.

Not that I would recommend pulling heads like that, but chances are you will be ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts