Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, has anyone removed their air bag systems? Not just the dash units, but the entire system? I want to save the wieght since this is a primarily performance car. Seat belts required to ride, racing straps coming soon, roll cage in a few years.

My main inquiries are:
1. is it legal?
2. How? any ideas? Where I would look for info?

thanks!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
1. don't know if legal or not... probably legal in KY... not in CA

2. best thing would be to check a Helms manual. Be VERY careful... they're very easy to set off by mistake... plus they're worth some money unused.

I

·
0 Posts
Not worth the weight savings IMHO, unless its a deticated track car.

·
Registered
946 Posts
dude if that shit aint a fucking DETICATED TRACK CAR
with a full CAGE HARNESS AND SEATS then you're being really really dumb removing that.

i'm ALL about weight savings myself, I have a crazy ammount of stuff pulled from my hatch. But pulling the SRS system just for a couple pounds of weight
for a car that is just "primarily a performance car" is not very smart at all.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
i'm sorry, but i'm with these guys. the weight will not be worth the risk. racing is dangerous on it's own, and removing the safety equipment that it comes with is just making that risk bigger.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not a fan of airbags to begin with. My first car, 89 accord, didn't have them and half my friends cars don't have them. I don't see my car being any "safer" than theirs.

But I probably won't remove them soo anyways, not until I don't need this car for daily transporation.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They don't weigh that much and they do save lives. I hit a tree straight on going about 80mph and the only thing that keeps me here was the airbag (seatbelt didnt work). Me and my passenger are both living because they deployed. Unless i have a full cage with buckets and harnesses i would leave them in there.

P

·
0 Posts
air bags are easy to remove, and yeah it is illegal to remove them. however if you get stopped in a road check or something, i wouldnt worry. its not like the police are on an airbag check. took mine outta the old eg and the bag, wiring, main harness, and junction box all weighed in at a little over 7 lbs. in order to take it all out right though, you need to take the dash out so you can get the associated brackets out with everything..

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
Haysoos said:
I'm not a fan of airbags to begin with. My first car, 89 accord, didn't have them and half my friends cars don't have them. I don't see my car being any "safer" than theirs.
Watch a video showing what can happen with *JUST* a 35mph head on collision. Airbags are life-savers. Not worth the 20-30lbs that you *might* save.

But I probably won't remove them soo anyways, not until I don't need this car for daily transporation.
I wouldn't remove then from any vehicle that I actually drove on the street. However airbags must be removed in some classes of road racing, but those classes also require harnesses, helmets and cages.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
I hear you guys, I aint going to remove my passenger side bag, but I GOT THIS SWEET mugen steering wheel so I kinda need to remove my driver side one..... its all good!

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
haysoos, when you put the harness and roll cage in, that's when you take out the airbag. until then leave it in the car for safety sakes.

·
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!
02 BMW; 00 Civic EX
1,892 Posts
sometimes airbags can be bad too... depends on the size of the driver. If you do take em out.. sell em on ebay .. they usually fetch a decent amount. And i can understand about wantin to put the kick ass steering wheel in.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I was just toying around with the idea. Since I don't have money for engine building, wieght saving is my favorite mod :D:D. But losing less than 20 lbs for it isn't worth it. I will pull it when this car will only see street to drive to the track, or be trailer pulled to the track, but that won't be for a few years.

I

·
0 Posts
Haysoos said:

LMAO.. you might want to read up on air bags a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts