Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill probably be boosting my car if i get my dads d16y7, i want to make it as reliable as possible. I would like the jrsc but i was wondering about spinning a bearing and loss of fuel mileage because of constant boost. Maybe a greddy kit or something and usually keep it out of boost. Really what im trying to say is that i will still need to get 40k-50k out of it. Yes compression is perfect and only 100k on it. im only looking for about 160whp or so.

If anyone has any reccomendations ill be open ears and handing out rep if that temps anyone.

Thanks
Bobby

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It all comes down to engine management. The better that is, the more reliable it is. Thats that in a nut shell.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
im not sure if you have your mind set on supercharger, but a homeade turbo kit can be put together and self tuned with chrome or uberdata for much cheaper than a prefab kit. And it is probably more reliable. 160whp is practically nothing boosted, but like got vtec said.......be sure and tune it. A good tune is where reliablility comes into play.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
stay away from the jackson charger, I ran one for years and hated it. I have since went turbo and I'm loving every minute of it.As for reliability my car has 186,000 on it and still running strong. Dynoed at 195.1 on 8.5-9 psi. This is my daily driver. Like metioned above the tune will make or break your build ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
i have a boosted y7 thats been running on a basemap for almost two years with no real problems other than blowing a coupler every once in a while :) the basemap i have is off of another y7 with a near identical setup, plus my timing is mildly advanced to account for the fact that i didnt have an intercooler (which i do now). the car hauls ass with no CELs or anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tuning is definitely an issue. Not to say you can't get a good tune with Chrome or Uberdata, but you will definitely want to have a good tune done.

Agreed on turbo vs jrsc. I've seen single cams with a very unimpressive amount of power gain with the jrsc kit... not worth it for the money. Piece yourself together a turbo kit. HF mani and adaptor plate, 42/48 T3, and your basic setup. 6 psi will get you your 160 whp pretty easily.

Best of luck to you. There is a turbo D guy on my site as well with a built Y7 who knows his tuning shit too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Spotabee Racing said:
Tuning is definitely an issue. Not to say you can't get a good tune with Chrome or Uberdata, but you will definitely want to have a good tune done.

Agreed on turbo vs jrsc. I've seen single cams with a very unimpressive amount of power gain with the jrsc kit... not worth it for the money. Piece yourself together a turbo kit. HF mani and adaptor plate, 42/48 T3, and your basic setup. 6 psi will get you your 160 whp pretty easily.

Best of luck to you. There is a turbo D guy on my site as well with a built Y7 who knows his tuning shit too.
there's another turbo d guy on the site? :razz: oh wait, you were talking about me:)

To be honest, i've never been impressed with d series jrsc's (especially for the money). Do yourself a favor and piece together a turbo kit...it can be done for cheap, and yield great results if done properly. If you want to stay out of boost, don't get a small turbo....I have a t3 on the hatch (and had the same turbo on the sedan) and im in boost a LOT, even when I don't want to be. I plan on going with a bigger turbo as soon as my motor is built.

W

·
0 Posts
If you only want 160 hp I would defiently go with nitrous. I ran anywhere from a 60-85 shot on my daily driver y8 for over 2 years. Still drive the car to this day. I wouldnt hesitate a bit in putting it back on my daily driver with over 130k. Compression was 185-195 across all 4 after tons of abuse. Colder plugs, 93 octane, and pull a few degrees of timing out and you'll be fine.

Plus its not there "all the time" like a blower or turbo. I personally can control myself better with nitrous.

·
CR-Vtakin
11,459 Posts
I had a jrsc on my car as well for a long time. I am much happier with my turbo. It is also quite reliable and I am making 176hp and 181 ft lbs of torque.

·
Registered
629 Posts
ryan89crx said:
i hate the misconception that superchargers are more reliable than turbos. if you do it right, turbo setups are VERY reliable
and if you do either wrong, they can both be extremely unreliable.

·
Registered
314 Posts
just spend as much on tuning as you do on the turbo and you should expect according reliability.
so you spend $50 on the turbo and $50 for some POS rising rate FPR and don't expect it to last
but you spend $300 on the turbo and the same for the tuning you should be all set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts