Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
i am the walrus.
Civic hatch
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be replacing my manual tranny fluid and want to put Redline fluid in my trans. What weight do I need?
- hatched

Many people advise not to use that stuff. - cybrpunko
rip apart a tranny that has run Redline and you'll see why.

Use dino 10w30 or Honda MTF
- Mista Bone

·
i am the walrus.
Civic hatch
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have used Dextron 3 ATF, Castrol 10w-30, and Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 in my race car. The Dex. 3 did not shift as smooth as the Castrol or the Mobil 1. I have been using the Mobil 1 synthetic now for two years and the gears look perfect. I cannot see any visible signs of wear on the main gears and only slight wear on the final drive gears. The final drive gears have been used for 2 years worth of racing behind my 418 hp drag car. I am a firm believer in the film strength properties of Mobil 1 synthetic in reducing wear inside your transmission......I recommend it.

Later,

ZEX man

·
i am the walrus.
Civic hatch
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a problem in the past of constantly breaking the 3-4 shift fork in my drivetrain. That led to a quest of finding the ideal transmission fluid that not only protected my tranny components....but allowed ideal alighnment of my assemblies (gear and synchro) for ease of shifting...thus no more forced gear changes at high RPMs...leading to broken components.
After much ado...Torco MTF Synthetic Manual Fluid was my answer.....2 seasons so far: no broken forks..and it doesn't foam like other lubricants. I have a habit of inspecting my tranny components as well: they look great. The oil also has a centistoke viscosity rating equivalent to a 20wt oil...helps with power and economy efficiency too.
Long live the d series!!

'Bisimoto D15

1 - 4 of 4 Posts