Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

This year I finished my d16z6 build. All the details of the build as well as a link to a dyno video can be found here.

Th quickly summarize, it's an NA built d16z6. It made 156whp and 115wtrq on a Mustang Dyno. It could have made more but I ran out of time before the tuner could start fine tuning the camshaft gear.

I feel like I can squeeze even more power out of it. I'm looking at better injectors to go with the Walbro 255lph pump. I'm considering the RDX swap for this.

I'm using a generic short-ram intake and cotton filter. I didn't put much thought into the intake at the time since all my efforts went toward the head and transmission build. I'm using a d16y8 intake manifold with the inlet ported to 60mm and the runners cleaned up and the outlet ports matched to the header inlets. I'm using a stock 56mm throttle body but have a 60mm b-series ready to go.

What options would people suggest for the air intake?

I'm also looking at improving the exhaust flow. I'm using a Megan Racing 4-2-1 but I know I can do better. It runs to a Magnaflow high-flow cat and 2.25" Tanabe Medalion exhaust.

What headers do you suggest? Should I opt for a larger diameter exhaust?

I'll be researching this all through the off-season (it sees track duty during the spring, summer and fall months).

Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Perhaps some additional details would help move the conversation along.

While I continue to research I'm hoping that some more experienced individuals will be able to offer advice.

Most of the information I've found concerning intakes and headers suggests that the additional power is minimal without having a high compression motor and head work.

I have all of the above. It's a d16z6 bored out to 75.5mm with P29 pistons, ported and polished d16z6 head, Rocket Motorsports stage-4 camshaft, Rocket Motorsports valve springs and titanium retainers (great for high revving), d16y8 intake manifold inlet ported to 60mm (using stock 56mm TB for now, have a 60mm b-series for next year), runners polished, runner outlets port-matched to head intake ports.

But... I'm using a generic short-ram tube that I think is 3" with a cotton K&N-like filter, Megan Racing header (not sure of the primary diameter, 2" outlet), Magnaflow 2.5" high-flow catalytic converter and a 2.5" Tanabe Medalion exhaust.

Given the work done on the engine I want to know what the best or better options are to maximize the power available. I'll also be picking up RDX 440cc injectors. From what I've read, these injectors alone can make a substantial difference, especially over the stock z6 injectors I'm still using.

Cold-air intake? Intake diameter? 4-1 header? Primary diameter? Collector diameter? Exhaust diameter?

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
68mm throttle body and Skunk2 Pro Series intake manifold acquired!

The shopping list is getting shorter.

Looking at a 4-1 header with larger primaries and collector - 2.5" outlet preferable. From what I've been reading, the 4-1 is a better option for top-end power vs the 4-2-1 for mid-range power. This motor makes most of its power once the aggressive VTEC profile activates.

I need to consider what I'm going to do about the exhaust... The Tanabe Medalion is practically brand new but its 2.25" in diameter. I think a 2.5" would be preferable.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
I went with a Edelbrock performer X and edelbrock 65mm, mostly because I got great prices on both (about $300).

I went from a CRX Si cold air intake to a 3 inch tube and a 6 inch velocity stack and saw decent gains. I have always felt that the larger diameter allows for more flow and there are very few cold air intakes that are 3" and will fit in my chassis.

For my header i went with the Skunk2 Alpha and am happy with it going into a PLM 2.5 test pipe and tanable exhaust.

You have more cam than I do...for now! I am looking at the Rocket 4 for the A6 in the near future.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I went with a Edelbrock performer X and edelbrock 65mm, mostly because I got great prices on both (about $300).

I went from a CRX Si cold air intake to a 3 inch tube and a 6 inch velocity stack and saw decent gains. I have always felt that the larger diameter allows for more flow and there are very few cold air intakes that are 3" and will fit in my chassis.

For my header i went with the Skunk2 Alpha and am happy with it going into a PLM 2.5 test pipe and tanable exhaust.

You have more cam than I do...for now! I am looking at the Rocket 4 for the A6 in the near future.
I've looked at the Blox velocity stack with filter and the Skunk2 velocity stack with filter. Both are comparable in price with the Skunk2 having dimples in their stack design to help improve airflow - same principle as with golf balls.

I was also looking at the Skunk2 Alpha header. It looks to have the features I'm looking for however it's a 4-2-1 tri-Y design. But it does have the dimensions I'm looking for. Could be a good option. I posted a link to another discussion on DSO regarding headers and one of the member suggested the J2 4-1 to someone who was inquiring. The outlet diameter is only 2". I believe the Skunk2 is 2.5".

I also came across a 1320 Performance D-series RMF header. I believe it's an RMF knock-off. It has significantly different primary style compared with the other headers. Does anyone know anything about the RMF-style header?

Regarding the Rocket Motorsports camshaft you're going to get, I can only say the best things about the product and Robert. He had been incredibly helpful through the transaction process and during the building of the motor. He was always quick to reply to messages. I sent in my stock d16z6 camshaft and he and his team were able to make a stage-4 re-grind. I also bought the Rocket Motorsports valve springs and Ti retainers. They went into a ported and polished z6 head. The end result was an addition 26whp over the previous setup (stock head, Bisi level-2 camshaft).

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Skunk2 is 2.5" i had a hell of a time getting it to bolt up initially.

Impressive gains on the cam. I have been holding off on tuning til I am sure of what i am finished with. With the street tune and Crane 0012 I have walked away from b16a's with bolt ons with me rolling into it at 2500rpm and them rolling it at 5k+, so the cam upgrade should be a big top end bump i hope.

I figure that with the choke point you had in your intake the new manifold and tb should net you some excellent gains.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Skunk2 is 2.5" i had a hell of a time getting it to bolt up initially.

Impressive gains on the cam. I have been holding off on tuning til I am sure of what i am finished with. With the street tune and Crane 0012 I have walked away from b16a's with bolt ons with me rolling into it at 2500rpm and them rolling it at 5k+, so the cam upgrade should be a big top end bump i hope.

I figure that with the choke point you had in your intake the new manifold and tb should net you some excellent gains.
LOL!! I realize I just responded to your post about cams with the same info! This winter I'll be working on getting more air in and out. With the head and high compression pistons I should see a little more power.

Was the difficulty bolting up the header at the head or the cat? I had an issue with my Megan header and simply welded it to the cat.

With the current set-up I have I had no problem pulling on and keeping ahead of a B16 swapped EK with bolt-ons and even a B20VTEC at the track (open lapping sessions). If I'm not mistaken I believe you said you're building an A6. With that in mind I believe the camshaft should allow for good power throughout the RPM range. You won't have to wait for an aggressive profile to take over.

In my case I can really feel the difference between the non-VTEC and VTEC profiles. I have some videos up on YouTube at the track where you can really hear the VTEC engagement - it sounds very similar to a GSR.

·
Registered
152 Posts
curlybandit, take some time and come threw the last 2 pages or so of my build thread.

my old set up made 160whp 126wtq with a stock untouched z6 throttle body and manifold, small intake arm and ebay 421 header and 2 1/4 test pipe.

new set up, skunk2 intake manifold that was cut open and fully ported by Melvin Ports Engineering (same guy who ported taller pancho's 11.5et d16 head and intake.) He port matched a new skunk2 70mm throttle body. his work looks amazing and has been race proven.

i upgraded to a skunk2 alpha header and a 2.5inch test pipe to match up with the rest of my full 2.5 exhaust.

i upgraded my intake arm from a 6 inch v stack 3.5 inch id tapered down to a 3 inches. it was 6inch v stack, 3.5 inch id tapered down to 2.5.

So thats where i went with my upgrades. I tune tomorrow, I expect some significant gains, mostly in the mid to high rpm. the goal is to make more peak power, higher up in the rpms and hold it for longer to take full advantage of my fully built trans.

hope this helped, i will update my thread tomorrow, im sure we will have more things to discuss.

stratton.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
curlybandit, take some time and come threw the last 2 pages or so of my build thread.

my old set up made 160whp 126wtq with a stock untouched z6 throttle body and manifold, small intake arm and ebay 421 header and 2 1/4 test pipe.

new set up, skunk2 intake manifold that was cut open and fully ported by Melvin Ports Engineering (same guy who ported taller pancho's 11.5et d16 head and intake.) He port matched a new skunk2 70mm throttle body. his work looks amazing and has been race proven.

i upgraded to a skunk2 alpha header and a 2.5inch test pipe to match up with the rest of my full 2.5 exhaust.

i upgraded my intake arm from a 6 inch v stack 3.5 inch id tapered down to a 3 inches. it was 6inch v stack, 3.5 inch id tapered down to 2.5.

So thats where i went with my upgrades. I tune tomorrow, I expect some significant gains, mostly in the mid to high rpm. the goal is to make more peak power, higher up in the rpms and hold it for longer to take full advantage of my fully built trans.

hope this helped, i will update my thread tomorrow, im sure we will have more things to discuss.

stratton.
Hey Stratton!

Our builds and output are quite similar! I made 156whp and 115wtrq on a Mustang Dyno. We could have made a little more but I ran out of available time before the tuner had a chance to fine tune the camshaft gear. IIRC you commented on that thread as well.

You're at the stage that I plan on being at in a few short months. Better intake, header and exhaust. This together with the RDX 440cc injectors I'll be picking up it should make for a few more ponies!

Looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers you'll make.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i should have added why.

intake manifold ported, for flow and velocity. even the skunk2 in stock form can be greatly be improved. increased flow means the motor can breath up top, carrying power higher in the rpms as long as the cam allows. (i run a delta 282 btw, retarded 6 degrees btw, didnt loose any low or mid by going that far with the cam gear.

70mm tb for top end power flow and throttle response, only the dyno will tell, but i hope i dont loose any mid range.

bigger intake, generally a 3 inch intake arm helps top end and doesnt effect mid to low at all.

bigger exhaust, its a long known fact 2.5 or 3inch exhaust makes power even on small cc engines such a b16s, dyno proven. i ran 3 inch exhuast on my 205 whp na set ups, 250whp na set ups, 400whp turbo set ups.

big 4 2 1 header as regardless of how much we like top end, a d series needs a strong mid range, especially a street car. if it was nothing but a drag car then sure id prolly run a 4:1.

edit rdx injectors are a good choice, any new style inj will be better then the old honda style. i run 550cc injector nations from HIPROFILE here on the board.

thats my logic, my d series friends seem to agree as well.

we shall see.

stratton.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 1320 RMF header on my d15b vtec. Can't comment power wise because it hasn't been dyno'd. Build quality is great and fitment was spot on. It does have a merge collector, has the spike, which tapers from 2'' to 2.5''. I'm also putting together a high comp d16z6 using this header, expecting to be underway beginning of next year.

·
Registered
438 Posts
bumping this thread to see STRATTONS dyno results.

Also, 4piston is beginning d-series head development for anyone planning a build.

starting my road race build soon as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.