Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - alittle bit of a difficult problem here.

I recently removed my l3 transmission , to replace a few bearings and clean it up - left my EG civic sitting disconnected for about 1 week - reinstalled the gearbox to all manual torque specs etc....seemingly installed everything back to where it belongs.

Now. I jumped in the drivers seat - and turned the key. The starter turns the motor over...struggling to ignite. Dam.

Ive checked almost everything -

BTW , before the gearbox getting taken out and reinstalled the car worked FINE.

* fuel pump is ok / fuel is being pumped through
*injectors are cycling
*There is spark , distributor is recently rebuilt.
*All loom is correctly reconnected - cant seem to see anything moved or crushed etc.
*Gearbox is not locked into any gear.
*battery is weak , but after testing a friends battery + distrutor + leads - the car still would not turn over.
*ground cables are reinstalled correctly.
*Checked all fuses - ECU , backup etc seem fine.
*main relay looks fine.
*Checked ECU codes - ECU is not hrowing any codes.
*When turning over , the car will ignite about 1 in 4 revolutions - BUT stall again. There is abit of white smoke blown out when this is happening........

I have been too busy to worry about this right now- but seriously WHAT should i look at checking out next ?
Is there something that i have totally missed....im starting to go alittle crazy about this !

PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
did you take out the distributor?

did you mount your distributor gear 180deg out of phase? my friend did that on his accord...
put the car to tdc and take of the distributor cap and the ignition rotor should be pointing to cyl1..
my friends accord did the same thing, it would not start but it would fire like once or twice and never actually start..

otherwise i dont know man you checked everything else that i would have checked..
if you got fuel spark and compression you have a running car...

hope this helps..

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think its possible to put your dizzy 180 out, thats why honda made the little keyway in the cam offset, check all wiring, check ot make sure your starter is even touching your flywheel, thats the only thing i can think of htat u could have changed, check to make your u have the sparkplug wires in the right place, check EVERYTHING AGAIN, the only thing that you should have pulled to get the tranny out and back in that would affect it starting is...

-starter
-flywheel
-engine harness wiring (would throw a bunch of codes if not plugged in tho

theri are several other thinsg but thats about it really, since your not throwing any codes and your getting spark and fuel and your compression obviously hasnt changed any since u just pulled a tranny, then the problem lies in the starter flywheel area i think

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jarvis606 said:
theri are several other thinsg but thats about it really, since your not throwing any codes and your getting spark and fuel and your compression obviously hasnt changed any since u just pulled a tranny, then the problem lies in the starter flywheel area i think
thanks guys for the repiles - with the dizzy , i did not touch that / remove during the whole gearbox removal/installation process :( The only electrical wiring that i did disconnect was from the starter motor - and ofcourse the negative off the battery. Starter is connecting as the engine IS turning over. . . . . . .
it is just liek as if the engine is firing alittle too late or too early to iginte the injector pulse properly.

:| happy new years btw !

HELP !

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have a very unique problem, but im out of ideas, check the timing belt and make sure SOMEHOW u didnt skip a tooth, if your in time, getting fuel, and spark their is no reason it shouldnt start

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Maybe out of gas? Really, I am not trying to be a smartass. It happened to me once after checking everything 3-4 times the engine compartment. Sounds like you have checked everything that might cause it not to start. I was thinking the grounds at first till I saw you checked that. Are you sure its not your alt. or battery?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if hte car turns over then it cant be alt or battery tho i think??? does it turn over weakly? hondadog might have something with the gas thing, if so tell us so we can laugh :smile: ive done it before too lol

even if its the alt it should be able to run off hte battery for a little while at least, and if it were the battery then it proly wouldnt turn over all that well, rihgt?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
My car didn't want to start either after pulling the tranny. I had to push the accelerator to the floor to even get it to catch, and still my dad said it "sounded like an old tractor" because it was running so bad for the first 30 seconds. Then again, I had left mine for three weeks, not one, and I was low on fuel.

Actually, your problem sounds a lot like my car two months ago when the fuel filter just suddenly plugged up and it died on the spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts