Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, again some questions from Europe :)

I have rebuilt my engine D16Z6, i have used new oversized 0.5mm pistons from D16A6, let the block overbored, made a valve job, lapped valves etc..
The engine still didnt run, but just for interest i have done a leak down test. There were a little of air coming from block, from intake valves and from exhaust valves.

Is this OK, I mean if it will get OK after few miles, if it will sit down?

I have done some engines before, all of them run great, no oil burning etc.. but I have never done a leak down test immediately after rebulid.

Thank you for your opinions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would say run it a bit to set the rings then do a leak down test if needed.
But if you could get leak down numbers that would be very helpful in determining any problems.

Here is a link with directions on how to make and use a leak down tester.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
explain where the air noise was coming from.

What part of Europe? Doesn't REALLY matter but it is nice we are spreading info worldwide :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
explain where the air noise was coming from.

What part of Europe? Doesn't REALLY matter but it is nice we are spreading info worldwide :)
The most where the air noise is the holes that go down from the head to the block, so this is pistons rings, but there is also a little of air coming from valves, some intake, some exhaust, but it is only a little.

Central Europe, Czech republic :)

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
gotta run it for a bit to seat the rings...it should get better
I'm not so sure about that. I did a leakdown on a newly rebuilt motor that had never even been cranked. Didn't get any more than 1% leakdown on any of the cylinders.

He also said he had air coming out the valves.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is only very little of air coming from valves, almost nothing, I have lapped the valves again an it is much better. The most is coming from the block, if I put a stethoscope in tho the hole for oil stick, I hear air coming down to the block.
I will try to run engine for some time and will see.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. I did a leakdown on a newly rebuilt motor that had never even been cranked. Didn't get any more than 1% leakdown on any of the cylinders.

I would think youre the exception to the rule then. I didnt do a leakdown test on my most recent motor, but there was a noticible increase in the amount of vacuum it pulled after it ran for a while and the rings seated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had it both ways, all depends on the parts used, gaps, cylinder finish, ect.....
I would necessarily worry about leakage until, as stated before, it's been run in and then checked.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

btw. 1% leakdown....wow I think thats almost impossible :) :TU:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts