Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a rebuilt d16 i got it to crank with the spark plug wires not in the correct firing order but when i put them in their correct place it will not crank

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
More info please.

The more info you give us, the better answer we give you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it will stay running as long as i keep my foot on the gas but when i let off it will died. its a z6 head on a y8 in a 2000 civic hx

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Can of worms.......

More information is needed but it sounds like you put an obd1 head on and obd2 block.
Check to make sure it's time right.

Next you put a normal vtec head on a car with a vtec -e ecu.
So the vtec is probably staying on.

Also the hx injectors are suppose to be 190cc so if you some how put in the z6 240cc injectors your be flooding the car with fuel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
has eagle rods vitara pistons. 57 trim turbo on a basemap for 10psi til i get it to the dyno. head is stock. chipped p28. has 2 step colder ngk bk7re spark plugs. wires and distributor are good. has dsm 450cc injectors with resistor box. it has a y8 cam gear and a walbro 255 also

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,301 Posts
well come on!

make sure your mechanical timing is correct and that you have the right cam gear,

you also said it will run with plug wires switch around so check that your dizzy is no 180deg out...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i can get the motor to idle but when i give it gas to take off it dies. and i did have the dizzy 180 out and fix that. it will fire up with just a tap of the gas pedal and idle.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Mech-an-ic-al ... timing.

Why are you running a y8 cam gear on a z6 head ... it will have the wrong timing marks ... I think. The only time you start swapping those cam gears (IIRC) is to account for the lower deck height on a d15 block, other wise run the cam gear for the head you've got.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i just ordered a adjustable cam gear and stock map sensor but ill change it out with another one to see if it helps. and the guy i bought the motor from had the y8 cam gear on their so idk and yea engine light is on i know because of o2 sensor but i need to check it for other things

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
I'm guessing your mechanical timing is off but it's hard to know for sure..

If you check ignition timing with a light, it can also give you a ballpark of your mechanical timing.. like if you have to max the dizzy one way or another to get the right ignition timing then you probably want to check your mechanical timing.. etc..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@thesteelbreeze yea that how i figured out i needed a adjustable or z6 cam gear. i also think the basemap im running is some bs might order one from phearable after cam gear install. but overall the motor sounds good. no valve tick no knocking from the block. i have acl racebearings.and this was my first motor build lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea i had them in the right order and i know the dizzy has to work cause the car fired up yesterday and earlier then i did something.i may have flooded it and if my chipped p28 isnt working correctly it wouldnt be able to handle my 450's right? and the car wouldnt crank becasue of too much fuel? im gonna check the mechanical timing tomorrow and get everything ready for the adjustable cam gear.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
im going with whatever "basemap" it is..

Sounds like you need a tuner and the correct timing,cam, and tune.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Mechanical timing is off(wrong cam gear). And you will need to reset ignition timing once mechanical timing is established. You probably will need to change your oil because it probably has a bunch of fuel in it.

Reactions: robgoof
1 - 20 of 39 Posts