Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, recently i came across a 90-91 crx SI at my local junk yard. I was checking out the head and cam when i realized this shit was fuc**** fresh. So right than and there i decided to pull the head off..

After getting the head off, i was looking at the cylinder walls and pistons. I checked under the head and the valves looked like everything was running good. I knew right away that the block at some point of time had to have been rebuilt. I could see the marks from a machine that honed the cylinder walls out. After cleaning the pistons some, i realized that they only had an arrow. No PM6 Stamping anywhere to be found. Can anyone clarify this for me that this motor was just rebuilt, or do some D16A6's come with no PM6 stamping on the piston? It was in a riced out crx, red painted interior panels and so on..

Anyways, i snapped a few pictures, and i pulled the block for my cousin, who actually has a rod knocking on a D15b7 and we plan on swapping a mild build in it soon. Bisi stg 2 cam and and ect..

Pictures...

Let me know guys, all the help is appreciated. I know none of the bearing are locked up or anything, i can turn the pistons by the crank pully with no problems, but i do plan on pulling the oil pan off to see if i can notice anything bad or good. Thanks again!! D-series is always the best place for info!

·
Registered
582 Posts
to the best of my knowledge, being able to turn the crank doesn't mean the bearings are good.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Also, just because you can still see the crosshatch doesn't mean its been rebuilt. My motor had 250k on it when I tore it down, still had the factory crosshatch pattern. I don't know about the piston stamps tho.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
well first thing id do is get a telescoping gauge and a set of Micrometers and measure the cylinder bores, or you can take it to a machine shop and they can measure it. :TU: nice find

·
Registered
405 Posts
well first thing id do is get a telescoping gauge and a set of Micrometers and measure the cylinder bores, or you can take it to a machine shop and they can measure it. :TU: nice find
bulls eye.! the only way to really find out..

and on the bearings...see if you notice anything suspicious, honestly might be better to just pop the caps off and taking some plastigauge and checking.. or just replace.

really good find bro!

-chris

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
i'm afraid to even ask why you have a red dot..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, just because you can still see the crosshatch doesn't mean its been rebuilt. My motor had 250k on it when I tore it down, still had the factory crosshatch pattern. I don't know about the piston stamps tho.
Well, i never stated that the bearing where "good" because i could turn the crank, i said that they wern't locked up. Also, ive seen ALOT of blocks, and never have i come across a block with the honing patterns still able to see CLEARLY, i mean, i took the pictures with a Camera phone, and you can still see the honing patterns easy. Anyways, ill keep everyone updated, im pulling the oil pan off today to take a look and see how the rod bearings are doing and ect.. Ill post more pics later in the day. Thanks!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THanks!! Im hoping i just got lucky. I wonder if the pistons are oversized. There are no stampings on them that say anything about it. But i do know someone put alot of time into the motor and HAD to have had it out at some point. The whole motor was painted black, with a red intake manifold... lol. He also had alot of new hoses on the car as well. Im hoping i just got lucky.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bulls eye.! the only way to really find out..

and on the bearings...see if you notice anything suspicious, honestly might be better to just pop the caps off and taking some plastigauge and checking.. or just replace.

really good find bro!

-chris

DOING IT TODAY MY FRIEND. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Could anyone possibly be able to identify the pistons by looking at the top? Does anyone have any idea?

Also, would stock A6 springs and retainers be able to hold a bisimoto Stg 2 cam? The lift durations are 0.431" valve lift on the intake, 0.435" exh.

I know ive heard before that they can handle revs to 8k safe. And this is going to be a DD car, with a head mill for slightly higher compression and ARP head studs and a few other bolt ons..

Later in the dayy...

After giving some TLC, i was able to make out with this. I pulled the oil pan off checked the rods out and made sure everything was fine. What i found was a recently replaced oil pump, hells yah, and everything looked fresh, there where no play in the rods what so ever. Here are a few pictures i snapped after i reassembled and cleaned a little.

That is the cylinder head that we are planning on milling. Just going to be a little street build. Any help is greatly appreciated and i will keep everyone up to date on the build! If anyone can figure out what pistons these might be, that'd be helpful aswell.

WIll post pictures of the rods exposed later on, thanks for checkin it out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I pulled the oil pan off and the rods are stock. I took pictures but am waiting for a friend to send them.. Its really clean once you crack the oil pan open. No oil build up or color change at all, everything seems to be in good shape, with no play in the rods.. I have one picture right now, but still am awaiting 5 others with alot of different angle views.

Wait until i get the other pictures, so you guys can see how f'n clean this thing is..

Also, probably going to keep this thread updated as the build proceeds. The block is getting assembled and installed this weekend to see how it runs, but for now just a stock SI head. Waiting for bisi stg 2 cam and pro springs to come in. How high of an rpm would i be able to rev to with stock retainers safetly?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts