Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've had my old Z6 block sitting around for a long time now and I've decided to rebuild it for fun. Im probably putting stock rods and pistons in it. Not trying to make power or anything. I mean I don't even have a car for the motor to go in. Like I said, it's just for fun. I made a list of everything Im going to get to rebuild it. Please let me know if I've left anything off.

-New water pump
-New oil pump
-New rod/main bearing + thrust washers
-Getting the block honed but keeping stock bore
-Getting crank checked to make sure I can still use standard bearings and probably getting it balanced as well.
-Getting rods balanced and shot peened because they're going to be used ones.
-New oil pan gasket
-New rings

Is there anything else I need to do just for a good stock rebuild? This will be a cheap rebuild because I work at an auto parts store and can get parts for cheap.

·
Registered
276 Posts
look around on the net and get a full gasket set. this will include a headgasket, etc... also you might want to get the top of the block decked.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I work at Advance Auto Parts. I don't have a head so there's no need in getting any gaskets for the top end, such as the headgasket. But I will probably get a bottom end gasket set. And I've found some OEM pistons/rods here locally from a guy on here. Im going to look at those soon and if they look good, I'll probably buy them. My rods and pistons are trashed from my motor. Is it ok to put used rods from another used motor in mine? And also, the only numbers in the bottom end that have to be matched up are the main caps with the block, correct? Or is that completely wrong? lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am a machinist and this is what I do for a living. If you are doing a stock rebuild, balancing of the crank, rods is unnecessary. It comes pretty damn well balanced from honda. You will not need to have the rods shot peened either.

As far as machining work goes, thoroughly clean the block, hone the cylinders, check the deck surface for warpage but dont resurface it if you dont have to. Recondition the rods if they need it. If your old rods are trashed from spinning a rod bearing then your crank is most likely screwed. But if the crank is good then definetly get it micro-polished. And make sure everything is thoroughly clean before reassembly.

The mains on d-series is a girdle so it can only go on one way. Or are you saying you dont have the original and dont know if you can use a different one? If so the mains can be line bored but most likely this process is unnecessary even if you have to use a different girdle.

The only gaskets you will need for the bottom end are the oil pan, the oil pickup tube gasket, the rear main seal, and the oil pump seal. water pump gasket should come with the new pump. Use Hondabond (available at honda or acura) sealer to seal your rear main cover to the block as well as your oil pump. You wont regret it.

New timing belt tensioner but you dont have to worry about that until you are ready to put the belt on. I might have left something out but it happens. any other questions just ask.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man. PMed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts