Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i bought a complete Y8 motor for 100 bucks and it has a spun rod bearing. i would really love to build it and throw it in my Eg.

All i hear is NOT to use a crank that has had a spun bearing, but im just wondering why it matters so much as long as the crank is machined and fixed??

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Usually the rod and the crank needs remachining, I stay away from blocks that spun rod or main bearings. Not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well if it spun a main then the mains would have to be re honed, and what good is a block if you have to chuck the rotating assembly. There are far too many good rebuildable D's out there to waste you time with D block that needs new crank or alot of machining. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
My Crix
1,169 Posts
Tru Tuna, also you have to think that with honda cranks that machining the journals will only weaken the longevity of it, being that they are nitrided at the factory. IMO i wouldnt use blocks that need heavy machine work to correct them. The pond is full of too many fish to carve one to death just to get the last bit out of it.

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks alot guys, i guess ill just look around for another Y8 block.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tru Tuna, also you have to think that with honda cranks that machining the journals will only weaken the longevity of it, being that they are nitrided at the factory. IMO i wouldnt use blocks that need heavy machine work to correct them. The pond is full of too many fish to carve one to death just to get the last bit out of it.
The coating is generaly .020" thick and you can machine .010" off without a re-coat or hurting the integrity of the crank

Also if needs be cranks can be rewelded and re-coated. However at that point you might as well get another crank for the money spent.

I myslef will agree with the rest however. I prefer unmolested parts.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Cool thanks alot guys, i guess ill just look around for another Y8 block.
why not just go with a z6 block?? y8's have problems... all of them do

1 - 14 of 14 Posts