Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive already searched and only found results about swapping pumps from z6's and y8's.

so the z6 i have had 200 000km's on it (124000miles for you non metric guys)

going for a full rebuild now and just wondering if i should just get a new oil pump or stick with the old one. reason is that the thing costs like another $200 bones for an OEM version and this build has already gone way past my budget.

future goals would be about 300whp. ive been told that these things do last a long time, but then again the pump is already 12 years old (z6 is from a 95).
Do you guys think the pump will hold up? or should i just suck it up and take the hit?

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
I reused mine when I rebuilt my motor. It had 140,000 miles on it at the time. my oil pump was within spec of service limits so i reused it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If i was doing a complete rebuild i would go ahead and get a new one. I mean hell why not it's all ready apart.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rebuild the old one.

if it ends up being out of spec then go buy a new one
well how much would a rebuild cost? that would kinda be a waste if it was out of spec and i would have to shell out more for a new one.

·
Registered
276 Posts
don't need to buy anything except for some

some solvent/degreaser to clean it up.
some feeler guages.
crocus cloth/very fine sandpaper and a few drops of clean oil
and if you're going to end up using it then replace the seals (should be cheap cheap ~ 5-10 bucks)

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I had my old one redone and the guy that did it, bumped up the pressure for me. So i shouldnt have any oiling issues.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't need to buy anything except for some

some solvent/degreaser to clean it up.
some feeler guages.
crocus cloth/very fine sandpaper and a few drops of clean oil
and if you're going to end up using it then replace the seals (should be cheap cheap ~ 5-10 bucks)
hmm alright ill look into that sounds cheap!

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
does anyone know where to buy a higher flowing oil pump other than having theoldone.com modding the stock one? I have 170,000 on mine and i need an aftermarket higher flowing one for my build. its for a z6

thanks

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
new oil pumps are not that expensive, why wouldnt you replace it?
i looked into it, honda dlr is charging like $230+tax. there are some canadian online shops that sell oem parts for cheaper but they dont have the pump right now.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think 200 bux is reasonable to assure proper oil pressure in a fresh rebuild.
ya you are right, i guess ive gone this far and really everything else is gonna be new. might as well no skimp out on something this important.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Honda suggested retial is $159.87 and dealer net is under $100. That is U.S. of course.

I would find another dealer or perhaps source one online. That dealer is is putting a %100 mark up from dealer net which is common, but not great practice.

·
Registered
276 Posts
oh also.. if you don't care if its honda or not i can call the engine parts wholesale place i get a lot of my stuff from and can get a price for you.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh also.. if you don't care if its honda or not i can call the engine parts wholesale place i get a lot of my stuff from and can get a price for you.
thanks for the offer but I got a local guy that can get me this pump for 15% off dealer price. and i pm'd you about the oil pump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts