Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I'm posting here because I've got a rod knock on my high mileage D16Y8 engine. the rod bearings are broken to pieces on cylinder 1 and 4, but the good news are that crank is still in spec, measured today with micrometer:
main journals - 54.98, rod journals 44.97, no scratches, taper or out-of-round.
So, someone told me to machine crank to 0.25mm, someone just put standart bearings. what do you thinks about it? should I machine it?
Another question: I'm always holding engine at high revs, so I want to install ACL race bearings. the question is how to choose acl for my application? are these fine: ACL Race Rod Main Bearings Kit Civic CRX D16 SI EX ZC: eBay Motors (item 120608279179 end time Sep-11-10 13:19:56 PDT)
I also want to replace all gaskets and seals, and install ebay NPR P29 high compression pistons with rings and pins, any issues with that?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Post up pictures of the crank. I doubt the journals will be ok of the bearings were cracked in pieces. I'm thinking they are probably scored. I would recommend regular acl bearings or kings. Btw you should also post up what the current specs were and what else you plan on doing to it.

-Luke

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
What about your Block's Cylinders? Either way you have to take it to a machine shop to get it cleaned up and honed. Have them look at your Crank's Journals. And then if they're ok, Like you say, then have them polish them up for you.

Same will go for your rings n bearings. If you could, order the rings and bearings from them if you'd like. That's what I did. And go with standard size.

Just make sure you plastigage also when putting your bearings on. That will give you a better reading then your micrometer measurements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, i will post the pictures of the crank journals and also a pictures of broken bearings. i already taken the crank to the machine shop, and they say it is ok. for the pistons, the engine did not burned the oil or there were no any kind of smoke from the exhaust pipe, none the engine was cold. today i checked the cylinder walls and there's still hone visible. and the pistons themselves looks good but i will change it anyway. car had 179 kmiles on it when i get it, and i put another 100k on high rpm's and oil coming out from the all seals. i think engine was rebuild once before, cause there's no numbers on the rods and no color codes on the bearings. there were leaks from crankcase gasket, front seal, rear seal, vtec gasket, dizzy gasket and etc. i added a liter of oil every two weeks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The main journals don't seem great. Can you catch your finger nail on any of those marks? If so, take it to a machine shop and have it checked out; it will most likely need turned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main journals don't seem great. Can you catch your finger nail on any of those marks? If so, take it to a machine shop and have it checked out; it will most likely need turned.
the main journals are even better than rod ones. checked twice with micrometer: main journals - 54.98, rod - 44.98, no out-of-round. feels smooth on finger nail, but I will polish it anyway. My question is how to choose ACL bearings? Just put standarts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts