Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've rebuilt many motors, but this is my first B series. On all the builds I've done, I only gave the block a hone. It has been brought to my attention that many people do the crank balancing and micro polish aswell as other stuff. Is anything more than a hone completely necessary? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
balancing and micopolishing is to get the most out of the bottom end and depends on how high in the rpms range you are going to be pushing.

really depends on the plans for the motor, and preference, and price

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just a b18a1 rebuild that will be used as a daily. Maybe boost later. Im thinking stock 7k rpm redline

I would really like it to be under $400 for the rebuild including gaskets

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Whatever you do, don't skimp on cheap gaskets. Go OEM. They cost more but are worth it. I learned the hardway on my B20A5 rebuild.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever you do, don't skimp on cheap gaskets. Go OEM. They cost more but are worth it. I learned the hardway on my B20A5 rebuild.
Nah,its a gasket kit from fjd. Maybe not as good as oem, but they will do.
Is "line honing" necessary? I dont even know what that is but my cousin keeps mentioning it in our text messages

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
line honing is only necessary if the mains go out of wack from each other. just see what the machine shop is going to run for it all and decide if it fit's your budget.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, hopefully decking and milling will make it in alongside the honing. If not, a replacement block from hmotors is the way ill be going, Ill keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
My B20A5 had spun a main and my local machine shop said it would be too expensive to justify line boring. I pulled a better donor at a junkyard and rebuilt it instead.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled it today, broken ringlands. Meh high compression B19a1 ftw

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Machine work is only necessary if something is wrong. No one here can really answer for you without seeing your block and making a few measurements.
Examples.

Is the deck flat and parallel to the crank axis. If not for one or both it needs decking.

Is the total deck clearance acceptable to you. If to big, the block needs decking. If to little, the pistons need trimming or a thicker head gasket is needed.

Are the bores straight. If not, a ridge remover and a straight hone might be needed, but if so a bubble hone will do.

If the bores are not straight, will it still have acceptable piston to cylinder wall clearance after honeing to straight.

Are the main bearing bores straight and do they have acceptable bearing crush. If either is no, it needs a tunnel bore ro align bore or align hone or whatever you want to call it or how you want to do it.

An align hone normally removes less metal so it can be done with less effect on deck clearance. Yes cutting and closing the main caps so it cleans up the main bearing bore to spec does move the crank up.

An align bore normally removes more metal and is used where more damage has been done. If it has to be done, do it before you machine for deck height correction.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I understand, I will check my tolerances later to see if its within spec.

I will also post a thread in showcase, 180 whp B18a1 in a 2000 lb chassis should rip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts