Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started taking apart my spare Y7 head today (This is my first attempt to build an engine), and tried to go through step by step with my Helms.

First question, in the Helms manual, there are several of things to measure, like 'rocker arm-to-shaft clearance', 'camshaft endplay', 'camshaft-to-holder oil clearance'. Do you guys bother with this? The engine was running well before it was taken apart with about 160,000km (100,000mi).

Second, I noticed that the part of the head that is in direct contact or 'holds' the camshaft (sorry for the lack of terminology), that there is some scoring. Very very light, sort of like during the course of its life, there was some dirt or something that scratched it. Do I need to get this polished out? Or is it nothing to worry about?

If I get my head hot tanked or if I clean it out myself with solvent, would I need to replace the valve guides? I know the seals would need to be replaced for sure.

Thanks!

·
Ikillyoutillyoudiefromit
07 Si Sedan
389 Posts
Since you've never rebuilt a head or have any experience using precision measurement devices to check that you're head dimensions are within spec, I would take it to a professional. You would need to spend some $ just for the measurement devices to do it properly, like a micrometer, hole feeler gauge, feeler gauge, and a runout dial indicator. You will probably also want to have your valves re-seated, although this is easy to do you will need expensive equipment...really expensive...you'll also need to check the valve stem height and such. Lapping the valves is easy if you don't need them reseated. If you insist on doing this yourself, I suggest reading as much as you can about head rebuilding and get all the necessary equipment. Oh yeah, when rebuilding a cylinder head the pros bother about everything. You could overlook some things, but I don't recommend it. Take it to a pro. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts