Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I want to rebuild a D16 do I have to get it machined? like Bored and Honed? And can I use Y8 rebuild kit for a Y7? Because I'm planning to swap the head to Y8 with the rebuild. Also do I need any special tools to disassemble D16Y7 besides, combination wrench set, torque wrench, socket set? Thanks for you help in advance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You can use the Y8 kit, but you should stick with the Y7 because Y8 top with Y7 bottom yields higher compression.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
You will not know what needs machined until you have the engine out and apart and measured.

I would suggest that you you get some baggies and a sharpie so at tear down you can mak and bag your bolts, also grab your digi camera and take pics.

This will all help when you get ready for assembly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@tabKola Thanks I will use Y7 Rebuild Kit
@BogusSVO Alright, I was just asking ahead of time before I disassemble it, its still too cold, for now I'm just gathering all my tools and parts, and making a list of things I need also info for specs such as adjusting valves, bearing clearance, etc. I like that idea of bagging up the bolts, got the sharpie ready just need to buy some baggies. And thanks for you advice.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,882 Posts
Dude you o ly need one thread, why make two on the same forum? Evry section has the same people. Also the y8 kit will work fine. But dont buy a kit, just buy bearings and pistons with rings then order the rest of the seals and gaskets from honda. Also valve seals can be aftermarket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.