Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick rundown....... did a minime swap (y7 bottom/y8 top) had valves reground and head pnp. bolted everything on and no joy. after two weeks, i got frustrated and took it to my friend's shop....... no compression. all valves bent, etc. new valves in head and had slight compression. result was "blow-by" thru the rings.

what i am trying to find out is: would i get better performance out of boring the sleeves and adding new rings with oversized stock pistons?; what would be the durability of this setup? (i dont want it to breakdown because the sleeves are too thin)

or should i just resleeve, with forged pistons and rods?

My goal is slightly higher compression (10.5-11:1) and something that i could eventually bolt a mild turbo later and still use it as a daily driver...

I want some balls under the hood with mild cost.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
If your staying NA, I'd bore it over .020" And get some .020" oversized PM6 (D16A6) pistons. That would net you CR of 10.4:1. No need to resleeve. Stock sleeves can handle .020" just fine. Good luck with your build.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed but if you intend to ever boost the engine looking at 10.5:1 compression is way to high. You would want to be around the 9.0:1 or lower depending on the intended set up. Which in itself depending on what you wish to accomplish re-sleeving or boring, but with a mild set up boring .020 over would be fine.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what should i really be looking at cost-wise. They are quoting 1k for boring and pistons with rings and new bearings.

I've gotta make a decision by this Friday (12/23)......

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So then boring .20 over and using the stock oversized pistons and later boosting around 8-9lbs should work okay?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would but I would go forged on the pistons and rods for safety because the honda stock rods are pretty weak. And a grand sounds about right.......around.......$300 for pistons, $300 for rods, $120 for head studs, $100 for bore and hone, plus your rings and bearings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts