Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got a d16a6/s6 mini-me with pg6 pistons for high compression, I am trying to crank it, no fire... It is turning over and the oil pressure light even went off to show the pump was pressurized, it just seems like no gas is getting to the engine maybe, or there is no spark... Any ideas?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can your hear the fuel pump prime?
Spray some carb cleaner into the tb when your crank... Sound like it wants to go?
Open the the fuelrail output end of your fuel filter... Anything come out when you crank?

Possible fuel prob...

If you got gas pull plugs... Are they soaked if so you have ignition prob... Most i can do to help you rfom behind my computer with the info supplied...

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting gas, the fuel filter was actually even leaking a bit when I tried again. Spark test was a fail though... I pulled the dizzy and found this...
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Would that keep it from spinning though? Because there is still one part of the key on there...

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know.... This is the second one I have had to replace in a year.... They come with a lifetime warranty... Is that what would keep it from firing though? Because there is still one part of the key on there.... Regardless I am not going to try until I get a new one...

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Ummmm

The question I would be asking is why is it breaking in the first place. There is no real reason for a drive dog to break unless something is wrong with the fit or alignment or the drive load.

If the dissy turns easily, you can just replace the drive dog. Be very careful you get it the correct way round and you install it on the cam the correct way round. That is with the button pointing to where #1 lead would be in the cap when #1 is firing and #4 is at TDC overlap.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Where is the broken bit off the drive dog.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha yeah I am going to take the valve cover off tomorrow and try to find it.... Not going to do anything until I pull it out of there... Maybe a magnet will work...

As to why it broke, I do not think I put it on 180 degrees backward... it did not go on rough. It slipped right on; I have heard you could put it on backwards though and I do not think it was...

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
The keyways are slightly offset so you can't install it 180* off.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
You can't without breaking something by pulling it up tight with the bolts when it is not aligned.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Yes it could have been worse or could yet get worse.

The broken bit could jam up the cam and break a timing belt, or get between the coils of a valve spring and break the spring or break a cam or break a follower or break a belt then bend the valves.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aight so I definitely did not have a hard time putting it on there... So I dunno why it broke... This is the second distributor from the this company, I got it off ebay so I think next time I am going to go get it somewhere else.... Like Honda.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Try buying an OEM drive dog and fitting that to the dissy you have.

Fit the dissy with the tappet cover off so you can see how it fits into the slot in the cam.

Check it turns easy at both ends and middle of end float travel.

Check end float with dissy installed.

Check that the dog does not bottom out in the cam grove when the dissy is tightened into place.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aight. There is a honda junkyard around the corner that guarantees all their items... I might go see if I can find a dizzy there tomorrow... I would definitely prefer to just get the drive dog instead of a whole new dizzy...

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question: We have established that this is in fact a dire problem, but what we have not figured out is if, in fact, all other factors unchanged, this would be the reason for no spark.... The cam would still be able to turn the drive dog, and I would have gotten a spark, right? Maybe there is still another problem? I guess there might only be one answer.... fix it and see.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Does the distributor shaft turn easy.

Does it fit properly into the end of the cam.

Is the dog good steel or is it noticably weak.

By far the most likely cause for it to break is misalignment. If it is misaligned That explains everything including a timing shift.

To test, refit the dissy with the broken dog with the tappet cover and dissy cap off and see if everything turns free and in sync. Watch valve events and TDC marker to determine the rotor is pointing at the cylinder that is due to fire. Mark the dissy body where each post is and number each mark according to the cylinder that lead goes to.

This is starting to get to be a serious case of spoon feeding. Just stop and think and go back to first principles, like crank position, relative cam position, relative rotor position.

Is it the correct dissy for that cam and head combo.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic Si
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The shaft turns okay, it does not feel like there is any extra resistance on it... It does fit into the cam, they are both oem, the cam in stock z6, distributor is an OEM replacement for a z6, but I had been using it before the rebuild no problem... I agree in thinking that it was in fact misalignment I cannot believe it would have just broken off it was in fact in there correctly.

I apologize if you feel like you are "spoon feeding" me. I chose to do this rebuild to learn, and refuse to be discouraged. I will try to think out of the box more, I tend to doubt doing stuff on my own without the knowledge of someone who has done it before me first... Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts