Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey im back!

i have a question on my tranny rebuild.
i picked up a p20 b000 tranny and already installed the syncrotech diff and now do a complete rebuild with their carbon blabla kit.

mainshaft... like a charm!

dropped easy - no press or puller needed =)

the countershaft... not so happy with the syncros i think :/

there u can see, the syncrotech stuff have those notches all around in comparsion to the honda syncros.

and the oem honda syncro springs sit nice and thight around the syncro... the syncrotech springs are on the loose side and did not hold on properly!
~5/10 of a mm maybe...

thanks for your help guys!
cheers!

EDIT: now i realize that they send me the wrong kit... first i paid the carbon syncros and they send me the normal brass type ones lol
and is it possible that they send me the 96-00 kit? are the kits different/syncros?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and can you say more about the synchros (the notches) and the fitment of the springs?

thanks already! =)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx aqua!

so i have 2 options...

-buy the 3/4 slider (the only difference between eg/ek transmissions)
and swap that in and install the synchros with the "loose" springs

or

-can i swap the ek shafts from a a000 case into that eg b000 case?

thanks! =)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again!
ive ordered the part... :((

Subtotal: $99.95
Tax : $0.00
Shipping (UPS Worldwide Express) & Handling: $62.47
Total: $162.42
Balance Due: $162.42

damn that shipping is killing me!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Coulda used hubs and forks from an a000. Also couldve used the sliders, shift mechanisms, and other parts that were probably in better condition. Make sure you double magnet if it didnt come that way.

Aquafina likes to spend absolutely as much money as possible.

I wouldve much rather got new thrust spring washers, friction dampers, ISB, CR, or Hybrid gears. Sand the sliders, hubs and gears, you know make it shift and perform better

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
No, I like to fix it correctly the first time, which is cheaper than fixing it correctly the second time after not doing it correctly the first time.

He was talking about putting complete S40 stacks in a S20 transmission. The 3/4 slider would be wrong, the guide plate would be wrong and he would have to shim the mainshaft.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Just did a Similar build this weekend. Old S40 Trans dies from an Exploded Diff. Found a Spare S20 that needed rebuilt.

Swapped the oil guide plate, MS 1-2 from the S40, switched to the refurbished S20 Sliders and a ZC 3-4 cut down a 1mm on a rotary sandpaper wheel. All in an S20 Case w/ carbon synchos. Set the case on the MS to find a good shim spread with the new MS spring washer, found ~0.006-8 clearance. Case Closed.

^^He works for a shop where liability matters. I do what needs to be done with what I have. I mustve misunderstood what he had, but the moral im trying to bring is that it can be done to save some coin and use old parts. If this was a GTR or Ferrari I would understand. But Because Honda, I find it completely acceptable.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
Would also require changing bearings due to case differences.

A000 and B000 have different bearing dimensions for the countershaft, you will crack an outer race if you don't pay attention and try to force it.

B000 BEARING, NEEDLE (25X52.2X15)
A000 BEARING, SPECIAL BALL (25X52X15)

.2mm/.008" difference

1 - 12 of 12 Posts