Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice. I ran my turbo without an oil restrictor when I first started boosting 2 years ago. I thought that the stealthmode oil line "T" fitting WAS the restrictor (yeah, I know...dumb but I was still a n00b)

Anyway, I got an oil restrictor from ATP turbo, but I think it was too late (or its not good enough?). Anyway, there is a lot of oil burning, and my car drinks oil. I'm sure the bearings are done, especially since I see oil in the charge pipes.

I also hade some issues wit the oil return because of how low my turbo sat with my hf manifold and how my return fitting in the oil pan is angled.

Anyway, I was considering a rebuild, when I was doing some research. I guess some people didn’t have too much luck with a rebuilds, and have had the same issues over and over again. Sooo, I was thinking....get a cheap eBay turbo since my turbo could fail again anyway...

What do you think? A rebuild that will cost 3-400 that may or may not fail....or a cheap turbo for 150 that WILL fail

Oh, I have a Garrett t3 from a Saab 900c .42/.48 with internal waste gate

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Send it to a shop to have it rebuilt if you have doubts. It's not impossible for the shaft to be out of spec or the center housing to be slightly worn and you'll keep having the same problems. It will probebly cost more than a cheap eBay turbo, but if done right will last longer.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
people who rebuild them in their houses tend to have the same issues again. a prefessionally rebuild turbo will be the same as new. since the rebuilder should balance it and check all your tolerances. personally, i would upgrade to a bigger turbo or rebuild the one you have.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
people who rebuild them in their houses tend to have the same issues again. a prefessionally rebuild turbo will be the same as new. since the rebuilder should balance it and check all your tolerances. personally, i would upgrade to a bigger turbo or rebuild the one you have.
i agree 100%

Levi told me a good place to send your turbo for a re-build. i wish i could remember the name right now cause i'll be sending my 18g out real soon!

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
shameless plug, I will have a big 16 g for sale in 3 or 4 weeks. not sure on the price yet but it will be affordable and it is in perfect condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts