Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been up in the air about what to do with the race civic. I was going to build an all out turbo D engine or swap in a turbo F or K. But I now have the chance to buy a 03 EVO. It's been a race car most of it's life and is one of the fastest hillclimb cars in the country. Over the winter it got a new engine. It's putting down 460hp on a very conservative tune with 100 octane race gas. It could easily push the 600hp mark.
Now I can afford to buy the evo but I could certainly do any of the swaps for probably half the cost. What would any of you guys do?

·
Registered
the short bus
1,065 Posts
You know which route youre going to go. :)

Im all about cheap. I would also choose something that could easily be re sold. Just in case something comes up or you decide youve had enough with whatever.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
your operating costs with that evo will be a lot higher than the civic - figure that the bigger tires cost more, the brake consumables cost a LOT more (mmmmm brembos) and it will generally be more expensive to run.

it'll definitely be faster though...

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
thats a tough one...as a hill climb vehicle your going to be hard pressed to get better than an EVO or STi. but you know the civic best and it is MUCH cheaper to repair/operate than the EVo is...

if it was me...i would probably go for the EVO due to its nature as an AWD

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I'd say it really depends on your finanical situation NOW and in the future; cuz as we all know, you'll end up modifying anything you get beyond where it currently sits.

Also remember that the Evo will inherently have a higher re-sell value down the road too.

It is not an RS is it? Hard-to-find "base" model with a sunroof or spoiler?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Huh. That's a good question. Honestly, the only thing I like about Mitsubishis are their turbos. The rest can get bent.

Have you worked on one? Can you stand it? I suspect that given its life up to this point most of the stupid has been worked out of it by now.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your operating costs with that evo will be a lot higher than the civic - figure that the bigger tires cost more, the brake consumables cost a LOT more (mmmmm brembos) and it will generally be more expensive to run.

it'll definitely be faster though...
I have thought of this. Tires are probably around $2000 instead of $900. Fuel will certainly be more. I was on 92 octane with the civic

I'd say it really depends on your finanical situation NOW and in the future; cuz as we all know, you'll end up modifying anything you get beyond where it currently sits.

Also remember that the Evo will inherently have a higher re-sell value down the road too.

It is not an RS is it? Hard-to-find "base" model with a sunroof or spoiler?
Why yes indeed it is an RS.
Huh. That's a good question. Honestly, the only thing I like about Mitsubishis are their turbos. The rest can get bent.

Have you worked on one? Can you stand it? I suspect that given its life up to this point most of the stupid has been worked out of it by now.
It has been a work in progress for a long time. Right now its a turn key car and at its current power level it should last quite a few years. The last time I saw it take a king of the hill two years ago it was in the 350hp range. I really want the car but I don't know if I can afford to wreck it. Its a tough decision

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Id get the Evo. Its already purpose built to your liking. Its a better newer car that will be worth more in the future whether sold whole or parted out. You maintenance cost will be higher and so will be the price of failure.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
if you switch from a D, sell that oilpan along, I've seen 3 WTB moroso pans since I sold it to you :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts