Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
steinar said:
I'm about to rebuild a D16Z6, and found this rebuild kit: Rebuild kit

The seller seems to be quite serious, and the kit includes the stuff I need. Is it worth a try, what do you guys think?

I picked one of these up last year. One of the four pistons included was bad. The gaskets are not oem quality. They have to say HONDA for that!! He wouldn't replace the piston. . .Might be the same seller, I'll look again. Personally, I think you'd be better off spending a little more on oem or even refurbished parts from Napa or something like that. JMO! good luck

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so did you use the kit except the pistons, or was it just crap? What about the bearings, were the color coded or just std size?

I wish I could just buy everything OEM, its just a matter of money. If I buy OEM I'll probably have to reuse my pistons and oil pump to get the engine up and running in decent time. If I bought this kit I could afford to get my block bored and put in brand new pistons... But again it doesn't help much if its crap :/

·
Adia's Daddy
3,364 Posts
steinar said:
I'm about to rebuild a D16Z6, and found this rebuild kit: Rebuild kit

The seller seems to be quite serious, and the kit includes the stuff I need. Is it worth a try, what do you guys think?
Stick with OEM Honda and nothing else. The only aftermarket items I support are performance items with PROVEN track records for quality and dependability.

After working at a Honda dealership now for a year and my apprenticeship on the way, I have been able to compare aftermarket parts and Honda parts. There IS a difference. IMO the only parts you should use to rebuild your engine are those you get over the counter from your local dealership or reputable online GENUINE Honda parts retailers. You will thank yourself in the end.

Just my $0.02

·
Adia's Daddy
3,364 Posts
steinar said:
...But again it doesn't help much if its crap :/
Key words right there.

Maybe talk to the dealership and see if they open credit accounts to put whatever parts you can't afford on. Perhaps get a small loan from family or the bank to buy all you need.

Haste makes waste. Believe me, I know all too well :roll:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
steinar said:
OK, so did you use the kit except the pistons, or was it just crap? What about the bearings, were the color coded or just std size?

I wish I could just buy everything OEM, its just a matter of money. If I buy OEM I'll probably have to reuse my pistons and oil pump to get the engine up and running in decent time. If I bought this kit I could afford to get my block bored and put in brand new pistons... But again it doesn't help much if its crap :/

Because I did BUY the damn thing, I used as much as I could except the gaskets. The bearings were "basically" the same, I ended up find ONE matching new piston if you can imagine that--so yes, I did end up using the pistons. I wanted to economical and smart. But the smarts failed. Like Steve-O has said, as did I, stick with Honda oem.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks for sharing. Guess I'll stick to OEM then, see what I can afford.

BTW, anyone having experience reusing pistons that is on the service limit? The helms says the pistons are 74.96-74.97 new, service limit is 74.95, and my pistons measures 74.95 (one actually was closer to 74.94). Thats really small clearances, and the pistons looks fine, so I'm thinking about putting them back in, would that be a stupid thing to do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts