Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Ex
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everybody I have a spare D16Y7 block that I'm going to be putting in used oem D16Z6 pistons that are 75.5 mm.
I am wondering if I should use the stock factory specs for piston to wall gap and piston ring gap along with my bearing clearances which my King bearings give me .001 on the mains and .015 on the rods.
I can't remember off the top of my head what the factory specs are for the piston to wall and piston ring gap but I'm thinking about running them .001 piston to wall gap.
I have a used greddy tdo4 15g turbo kit that I want to be slapping on hopefully soon. Only going to boost either 10 psi or aim for 200 horsepower whichever comes first, prob 10psi.

Its my first time rebuilding a motor. I want to tune the new motor N/A first so I can break in the motor and clutch at the same time. And then once its tuned and broken in slap on the turbo kit.

Would you recommend factory specs for a rebuild stock baby turbo build?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
An engine built for boost will run NA just fine.

An engine built for NA will blow up if boosted and heat is not kept in check.

Built it for boost if you want to boost. Right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your clearance figures are dangerously off. You'll blow something up if you use those.

Bearing clearances are typically .0007-.0008" per 1". Something around .0013-.0015" on the rods and .0015-.0018" on the mains

This gets you really close on an N/A setup whereas you might get away with slightly more (.0002-.0003") and run a hair thicker oil on a turbo setup which in theory helps "cushion" the rods from the additional strain.

Generally speaking, you can run a hair loose and not worry. Running a hair too tight could result in spun bearings. I'd only run on the tight side if you knew exactly what you were doing, which in your case I'd steer away from given your plan is to turbo the motor.

.001" WAY too tight for piston to wall. Running that little clearance will result in bore damage. You would want at LEAST twice that if not three times that, with .003" probably being ideal for a turbo setup.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I followed factory specs to rebuild my z6 which I'll put a 13g on eventually, it's not a problem. If you want more than 20whp, that's when you modify the clearances because you'll be using aftermarket rods and pistons anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts