Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states, the two lower control arm bolts are stuck as F*CK!
its the two that are right next to each other on the part closest to the middle of the undercarriage aaaand ive tried eberything

air-wrench, hadn wrench, hand wrench with hammer, more air wrench, wd-40 sat for four hours, air wrench still wouldnt move it AT ALL

things are stuck, im pissed as hell cuz I wanna finish putting on my eibachs from Levi, and I only have the front on so it looks weird!

Any tips people?? Thanks! :)

·
I also have a cool title
3,124 Posts
I had the same problem on mine i had to buy after market ones and replaced it all. Mine were binded basically welded to the LCA.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
theres no such thing as stuck... you just need a BFH!!! don't know what that is? it's a BIG FUCKIN HAMMER!!!!!

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
11,260 Posts
this happened to me on my upholstery buddy's rice bucket.

I turned the torque up a knotch on my IR air impact wrench and the fucken bolt broke lol.

I flew to my local junk yard and got another lower control arm off another civic, problem fixed :TU:

I say don't even waste your time. The bolt might end up breaking on you. You're going to end up like me with a shock and a lower control arm together forever :lol:

·
Registered
801 Posts
pb blaster the fuck out of it. let it sit

tap it with a hammer, also you can get a flathead screwdriver and tap it around the head.

then get the air gun on there and let it crank. stop let it crank again stop pb blaster and crank again.

i literally just had this issue. took me a while but i got it out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
First: throw away the WD-40
Second: buy PB Blaster and a long pipe that your wrench fits into
Third : Spray Blaster on bolt and attach wrench/pipe combo and pull= problem solved

·
Registered
801 Posts
Third : Spray Blaster on bolt and attach wrench/pipe combo and pull= problem solved
i've done that one too when I don't have airtools.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This.

That could lead to snapping off the head though, so try to "shock" it loose with a hammer or air wrench before going at it with leverage.

Unless you have access to a torch. Hope you're replacing the control arms or bushings if applying heat to the bolt.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ended up breaking some bolts on my lca's, took it to a shop and they fried em off, I had 6 stuck though (replaced lca with buddy club) plus I didn't have the tools to do it

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Why are you taking the lower bolts out to change springs on the rear???? I.'ve never had to do that.

Jack under LCA, remove shock nuts and washer, then the two top hat nuts. Remove the outer bolt for the upper camber link, lower the jack.

Stand on hub, swing shock out, swap springs, reverse. Took me about 10-15 minutes a side last weekend. I was pulling off coilovers and installing H& Soft Sports. To compress the spring to get the shock nut started, use the jack to raise the LCA.

The previous owner did this to remove the stock springs and install the coilovers, so I knew the bottom bolts were stuck :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
make sure to use an allen wrench on the shock shaft, DO NOT zip them on/off with an impact.

Esp. with Koni's!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I ended up breaking some bolts on my lca's, took it to a shop and they fried em off, I had 6 stuck though (replaced lca with buddy club) plus I didn't have the tools to do it
Yup. They always break when removed for the first time.

Just snap the bolts and buy them from Honda for a few bucks and then either drill the bolts out of the LCAs or drill press the entire bolt/bushing and replace it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Why are you taking the lower bolts out to change springs on the rear???? I.'ve never had to do that.

Jack under LCA, remove shock nuts and washer, then the two top hat nuts. Remove the outer bolt for the upper camber link, lower the jack.

Stand on hub, swing shock out, swap springs, reverse. Took me about 10-15 minutes a side last weekend. I was pulling off coilovers and installing H& Soft Sports. To compress the spring to get the shock nut started, use the jack to raise the LCA.

The previous owner did this to remove the stock springs and install the coilovers, so I knew the bottom bolts were stuck :)
Just did this yesterday after doing the first side the hard way. Worked great! Another tip is to use some ratchet straps to compress the stock spring. This just helps with manuvering the whole assembly out of there. You shouldn't need to compress the aftermarket springs, because they are shorter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts