Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not want to say SKunk2 in the title lol

basically I am curious about people's opinions on the use of a different bushing materials in the rear lcas. Skunk2 has a spherical steel bushing in the connection to teh trailing arm, a delrin bushing at the shock mount and a urethane bushing on the subframe connection.

I know wear on street driven cars is a concern with the steel bushing.
I have a very good opinion of delrin though, and of course the concern on the urethane bushing is typical with skunk2, that its just junk.
Overall i like the idea of this kind of setup, but maybe someone has seen a similar setup or seen this setup in use....basically I am replacing rear LCA's at some point (i have a left rear toe issue, so I am replacing everything except the trailing arm right now).

A dealer who i trust and have used for well over a decade suggested them, and I was skeptical which he understood. I figured there are some smart people here and maybe they have some input or ideas that I am not seeing.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Question ... do you like your kidneys?

Uprating the "hardness" of the bushings will cause more "shock" to be transferred. I noticed the difference swapping from OEM to poly.

If I had it to do over ... I'd probably consider going hard rubber over poly ... but I got the whole LCA w/poly bushings for a good price.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I have always thoguht poly all around with rubber shock and inner arm bushings were the key to comfort and "tightness"

Im planning to go with full poly kit from ES and go from there. I wont be having stiff coilovers, just mild drop on sporty struts

·
Registered
SCCA F Prod CRX Si
70 Posts
Some production cars do use sphericals but they are sealed and more costly. The open style sphericals used in race applications work because of the limited mileage racecars see. The problem is dirt intrusion wearing out the bearing and causing slop. In a racecar application they get replaced every couple seasons but that would be only a couple months of street driving for a regular car.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have run 100% Prothane bushings on a car before, did not bother me despite feeling more from the road. They went along with Neuspeed Konis and Neuspeed race springs, and with the decent suspension parts it road a LOT better than a civic with ebay coilovers and tokico illuminas.

I found it curious that though the body to lca connection was the urethane where it would offer SOME isolation. Then the outer connection that sees the most load gets a steel spherical bushing. I cannot visibly tell the difference between a sealed or open spherical bushing since I have never even considered it. With a steel bushing I can really see the concern of wear during street use.

I know with Skunk2 there are always quality concerns, I am more interested in the idea of using different materials in each position really.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,906 Posts
I just ordered 20 heim and spherical bearings for my rear 5 link setup. I like them not to harsh lol. Well i also like solid motor mounts.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,906 Posts
Opened ones. I only plan on driving the car on nice days and not very often though. Sealed cost alot more i may switch to them if i run into problems.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I emailed skunk2 and the impression i got is that they know the open steel bushings wont last long at all on the street with daily driving as they recommended not getting the Alpha or ultra LCAs lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts