Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im working on my 1988 accord lxi and i cant get the rear drum to come off. I tried pressing it off with the two bolts but its not coming off. Do any of you guys know if something else has to be done. On my civic it just came right off. So its pissing me off right now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
d16a6 power said:
Im working on my 1988 accord lxi and i cant get the rear drum to come off. I tried pressing it off with the two bolts but its not coming off. Do any of you guys know if something else has to be done. On my civic it just came right off. So its pissing me off right now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
im assuming when you say two bolts to press it off you mean inserting them into the threaded holes on the drum between the wheel studs. the bolts i used to press the drums off are the ones which bolt your seats to the car. they are harder that normal bolts i believe and should be able to hold up to the stress but make sure you use a spare set and not the actual ones which hold your seat in. you should be able to get a bunch at the junkyard for next to nothing. i had a set of drums on my winter beater which i took off in the fall. the pads had actually seized to the drum and those bolts broke the drum free and got it off so if they worked for my winter beater (which has sat forever with the parking brake applied) it should work for you. just be sure to turn each bolt equally either by using two separate ratchets or turning one a few turns then turning the other a few.

if that doesn't work, you can try hitting the drum with a hammer. while training this week, i watched them service the brakes on a few civics and accords. what they basically did was hit the drum with the flat side of a ballpeen hammer on one of the ridges and they came loose right away. just be careful when swinging so you don't glance it off the drum and peen your wheel studs.

if the car has been parked for a while with the parking brake engaged, the pads may have stuck to the rotor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
first, make sure the parking brake is off. The way i took mine off when my rear brakes locked on me was by hitting them all around with a hammer like steve-o mentioned. it will take a few hits, but they should come off, just be patient.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the parking brake is off and im threading the two bolts in to press it off. I tried the hammer also. I was just making shure something else wasnt holding it on. Im threading them in equally, but it seems to get a little crooked, so maybe thats the problem. It broke one of the hold down pins already from trying to press it off. On my civic they just came right off.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I got them off with lots of force. The drum got worn down and there was a lip at the outer edge of the drum. So the shoes were catching the lip and were coming off with the drum.Thats why it was sticking. This is my moms car and she is letting me use it and i was fixing the brakes for her. So now i gotta replace a few things. Damnit. Thanks guys. I was doing everything correct but the car was fucked so i got owned.LOL

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
d16a6 power said:
Ok. I got them off with lots of force. The drum got worn down and there was a lip at the outer edge of the drum. So the shoes were catching the lip and were coming off with the drum.Thats why it was sticking. This is my moms car and she is letting me use it and i was fixing the brakes for her. So now i gotta replace a few things. Damnit. Thanks guys. I was doing everything correct but the car was fucked so i got owned.LOL
Glad to hear you go them off :TU:

Now it's off to the parts desk with you my friend ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts