Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
hahaha, but its for insurance an legal purpose, our local state laws require all abs models to retain abs, failure to do so results in a fine an a unroad worthy car, meanin game over :(

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Some 96-00 SPECIFIC information

These are some part numbers and notes for those of you with USDM 96-00 Civics, specifically. It seems that people keep posting how you need this and that for the 96-00 chassis, since its different in line/booster lay out then the previous versions of the civic. So this is for BOLT ON APPLICATIONS ONLY*, since there is a huge list of parts we can swap around and customize..

Booster:
  • 9" - non-ABS - 46400-S04-N11
  • 7-8" - ABS - 46400-S03-Z01
  • 7-8" - 97 spec ITR - 01469-S0A-J20
Master cylinder:
  • DX/LX/GX/HX (coupe/4dr) - 13/16th - 46100-S04-A04
  • Hatch - UNK/NOT LISTED **
  • Si/EX - 7/8th - 46100-S04-A14
  • EX (ABS) - 15/16th - 46100-S04-L72
  • 98+ ITR/GSR/LS - 1 in - 46100-ST7-L52
"prop" valve:
  • 46210-S04-902 DX/LX/GX/HX/CX/SI
  • 46210-S04-962 EX (non-ABS)
  • 46210-S04-852 EX (ABS)
  • 46210-S10-A52 Type-r (ABS)
Caliper assembly:
  • 4501#-S01-A02 - Si/EX
  • 4501#-SR8-A00 - DX/LX/HX/CX/GX
front brake size:
  • 9.5" - DX/LX/GX/HX - 45251-SR3-A00
  • 10.3" - Si/EX - 45251-S5D-A10
  • 11.1" - Type-r - 45251-SZ3-000
rear brake size:
  • 7.9" - drum/all - 42610-SR3-000
  • 9.4" - Si - 42510-SR3-A11
  • 10.2" - Type-r - 42510-ST7-R00
Some might ask "What does this all mean to my EK, 99EJ6T?", well it means a lot. Mostly what your NOT going to need for your conversion to disk.

Things like the "prop" valve, unless you have a EX. Unlike previous versions of the civic, only the EX got a different valve, but still HAS drum rear brakes vs other versions. The reason they got the different prop is due to the size difference in the large front rotor vs the tiny rear drum. This is not the valve to use if you convert the rear to disk.

It also shows you how HORRIBLE your brakes will be if you just convert the rear of anything other then a EX. just rear disks WILL throw off your brake bias, though you probably WONT notice under normal braking. I never did, lol. However, the good news for the small front brake owners is that a bigger front brake is just a caliper assembly away ;).

The reason I dont list any other MC being swappable, like the 15/16th from a 90-91 EX civic or the 1" from a ITR, is due to design of the mounting flange. Since its not a true bolt on MC swap I wouldnt consider it or most members on the site. Click the following link for more (+ visual) information on the subject.

How to swap Brake Master cylinder and booster <- same info is on our site (same person) as well, this is just his personal site.

FOR THE ABS GUYS: It seems there is some confusion as how to properly execute a brake upgrade for a car with ABS. Well the simple answer is: there is none. The ABS system is designed with certain parameters already instilled in both the brain and the design of the hydrolic system. Changing any one factor could have very detrimental effects on the system. I would only suggest that if you do try to upgrade, you do full conversions. Either remove the ABS system as a whole or convert the ABS system to that of a car with full disks matching ABS system and MC.

Want more info not included in this thread or by me on brakes? PM me and I will get you the information. 5-lug conversions to hybriding the 10.3" rotor on small hub. :bigok:

*ITR info thrown in for shits and giggles, seriously.

**The first (99) EJ6 I owned had 7/8ths listed on the side of it. It was 100% OEM when I got my hands on it, even fully serviced by Honda.

#Missing number is either a 8 or 9, depending on the side your ordering.

·
Registered
37 Posts
just for those who are doin the conversion with abs, make sure u get the abs rear trailing arm as it has the sensor attatched to it... I used DC2 1998 whole rear trailing arm, with calipers an all to make it work, even abs works, my ej8 seems fine without the prop valve upgrade, so imma leave it how it is... other wise, the abs plugs from dc2 will plug and play :D On a side note, definate get abs brakes, it will save ur life, dont get rid of it, its worth paying a lil extra for the extra piece of mind

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dc2 E brake cables are shorter.... i didnt get the chance to run EK1 cables so i just used DC2 cables, it fits, but it is much of a tighter fit, and u cant bolt it up near where its near the fuel tank, but i wasnt bothered about it, as its still pretty secured hanging there....

another side note, when bleeding it, the ABS light will stay on as the brake reservoir has a sensor on it, so dont freak out, once u bleed it, and top if off, it should disappear, i think its on all ABS equipped model as my dads Toyota Hilux done the same thing

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ok guys I recently acquired some rear trailing arms from a DC. I plan to swap this on to a 96 Civic EX will the e brake cables from the DC work on my EJ8? I am told they will and also told by others they will not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok guys I recently acquired some rear trailing arms from a DC. I plan to swap this on to a 96 Civic EX will the e brake cables from the DC work on my EJ8? I am told they will and also told by others they will not.
As said, DC2 ebrakes are shorter, so yes it will fit, but will be tight fit, and again, 2/4 brackets will only bolt one, so just remove the other 2

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Good stuff but could as least paint the caliper...
I assume you meant to say "you should have at least painted the caliper." If you read the thread, you will find that I didn't do the conversion at the time I made this thread. Here is a picture of my conversion I did later on. Proof reading before you post is key.

·
Registered
37 Posts
bump!!!!! i would get one thing though camper kit front and rear adjustable..
do u mean camber kit? you dont need camber kit, unless ur using eg/dc arms, than ur doin it wrong lol...

Only get camber kits if ur serious about track duties, that way u can refine the handling, but other wise, stick to the oem setup, even get the tire shop to readjust the whole rear suspension alignment, because im willing to bet that the moment u pulled off any control arms, the alignment is out of wack...

161 - 180 of 232 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.