Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at my junkyard they are about to put a 99 SI into the lot....im lookin at the rear disc brakes and a few other goodies...but what all do i need to take to convert my 98ex to rear disc brakes or will it not work?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
you'll need the rear end basically...on both sides, so the control arms and everything between them...i think that the master cylinder is fine in your ex, and a few suggestions...STAINLESS STEAL LINES FTW!!! and power slot rotors...

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
that is if he would like to have the 99si proportioning...that 98ex stock one will work, but it will still be the same proportion...i would suggest getting an adjustable one...and then set it to 60% front, 40% rear...but that's me...

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
i would suggest getting an adjustable one...and then set it to 60% front, 40% rear...but that's me...
hmm...this is very intresting. do you have a link or something. cause i've been asking around about this headache/problem/argument w/in the propotion valve question. infact here's the question:
i inturn will be up grading to a bigger rotor (90 Carrabo rotors), power slots brackets and tegra front cailpers. the question still is:
"would i beifite better w/the 40/40 propotion valve or kepping the stock dx propotion valve which give more power to the front instead of an equal balance between the 4 stock disc?"

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
you'll want more stopping power from the front due to weight distribution, so even distribution is not ideal, you'll lock up the rear brakes 50+% of the time you hit the brakes...but the stock proportioning valve from a civic with rear drums isn't going to use the full benifit of what the rear disc can give you...i have yet to start researching for an adjustable valve built for our cars, but i would imagine that it is out there somewhere...that or just get one that will work, and fab up a braket for it...

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
so in turn what your saying is: damd if you do and damd if you don't. since the 40/40 will split it equaly from front to reat brake power if/and i used stock rotors and calipers of the tegra. but since i'm going to be upgrading my front rotors to 11" rotors yet running the tegra cailpers the 40/40 isn't ideal nor the stock dx propotion valve. since the dx propotion valve is made to give more power to the front then the rear. cause i will be using the tegra m/c and booster it will be uping up the presure in the line which the dx weren't made to take? i hope i made sense.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
E brake cable and i always thought to use the si p valve the drum brake proportioning valve use's more pressure cause drum brakes need more presure and rear disc do not. Using the ex would make rear brakes bite like a mother fucker.
wha?!? english.... your E-Brake and you are intermidly together?

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
lol. rep u.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
yea you want the e-brake cables and the prop valve.

reason you cant easily do an adjustable prop valve is that the front right is connected to the rear left and the front left is to the rear right.

you would have to bend new lines to get an adjustable valve to work....

Im currently using the stock EX prp valve and it works ok but the 40/40 or the Si willl work just fine.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
reason you cant easily do an adjustable prop valve is that the front right is connected to the rear left and the front left is to the rear right.

you would have to bend new lines to get an adjustable valve to work....

Im currently using the stock EX prp valve and it works ok but the 40/40 or the Si willl work just fine.
see now this make a whole of alot sense. but it's still possible to do. damd that's too much work for me.

Reactions: Speedjunky01

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
see now this make a whole of alot sense. but it's still possible to do. damd that's too much work for me.
yup its also the reason why the helms states to bleed the brakes from the right rear to left front then left rear to right front.

sucks the way it was setup but with an Si prop valve the car will distribute the pressure very well.

I got a 40/40 valve out of like a crx or something hope I can get it to work lol.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
here a little quote on a thread on H-T, which i thought was pretty funny.

BTW you can search all day long and you will still not find anybody on this website who actually knows what those numbers they use to lable the prop valve mean.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
it just states how much fluid goes to the rear under easy and hard breaking....stock ex is 30/50 I belive.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
it just states how much fluid goes to the rear under easy and hard breaking....stock ex is 30/50 I belive.
i just thought it was funny. and also as i look at the 30/50 and 40/40 proprtion valve numbers the balance of the numbers is 80 not that it means anything. *shrugs*

·
Registered
133 Posts
does the master cylinder need to be replaced as well?? to a 99-00 Si one??

i believe i read a thread that you should swap that out along with the proportioning valve.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts