Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day DSO,

Taking my brakes apart today to replace, well almost everything.

Right rear drum is wedged on. When I put the two 12mm bolts through the drum to ease it off, they bottom out.

Looking through the gap I see the shoes are stuck holding the drum at the actuator side.

Am I hosed and need to cut the drum?

Or is there a tip I am missing? This is my first brake overhaul.

I will go play with the self adjuster, if I can get at it and bottom it out to see if this helps. The rear tires are shot so I can step away and still get some work done for a few.

Thanks in advance for any helps. I looked it up and found most people cut them if they get this stuck, or get a hydraulic puller or some shyt....

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Adjust shoe adjuster to smallest setting. You will probably see it when you go back.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So with a pry bar, how do I keep from damaging the backing plate? Or am I just trying to remove it and replace what I break?

I tried to go through the back and hit the adjuster but it will not budge.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright boys I got her, I will post pics of the massacre that is my rear drums. No one has ever done these, ever. Man she will be a whole new beat. Rep all around.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I always just cut the pins from the backside of the drum backing plate, then use long jack studs. The return springs will get messed up but they should be replaced anyways

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will do that next time I get stuck. I just pulled harder. It came off.

Used a screw driver to pry along the edge slowly and released the shoes from the drum, popped off in front of my wife. She had just come out to say hi. Made me look like a stud.

Thanks again DSO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts