Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 96-00 3 rib pulley JRSC bolted to a 95k miles y8 with transmission came into my life and it is going into my 96 DX hatch. This is a daily driver commuter car that gets to do 15 miles of 75-80 mph and then 15 miles of 55mph 2 lane and then the reverse. I love the CX DX HX gearing with 100 hp making this drive and I think it will work great with the JRSC at the 160hp or so I'll end up at with. 1/4 mile times concern me not at all- spinning just under 3k going 75 or so makes me very very happy.

My question is, do I have this strait?:

With the help of a machine shop with the pressing I rebuilt the CX DX HX box- all new honda bearings in a 200$ kit from that website and new differential bearings without the shields, NAPAs most expensive option. left the 200k sycros, 1-2 is a little notchy. 30k on the rebuilt box now otherwise.

I want a quaife- it suits my use of the car. In order to use my rebuilt internals and have a quaife, I need to move the internals to EX transmission for the case that accepts 40mm differential bearings as that differential will accept the quaife. I'll end up with 95k differential bearings. Fine.

Is that a better option than (if it is possible),

Put my desired final drive ratio ring and pinion into the 95k y8 box with the quaife. 95k box- should be dandy.

Or is there another no machining way to get a torque sensing no special maintenance LSD with the 'tall' final drive?

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Idea, If I use those transmission internals I will.

After reading a bunch more I think I can boil it down to:

Are the ring & pinion gears interchangeable between the 35mm and 40mm dif bearing gearboxes leaving everything else the same?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I was trying to be smart but it didnt really work out at all. Typical eh?

First gear has no synchro, but a rubber ring thingy for matching shaft speeds going into first. Then again, 1-2 to me would mean going from 1 into 2, and 2nd does in deed have a synchro.

Must drink more coffee...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, shifting from 1st gear into 2nd gear is the notchy shift I referenced. Oddly, 2nd into 1st is a little notchy too......

Continued reading indicates to me that I might be better off sourcing a HX transmission as they have the 40MM bearings. (I am fully aware just how badly everything D16y5 'sucks')

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Times change- I Typed in exactly what I wanted and Quaife and MFactory both have at least made enough 35mm LSDs to get their sellers to list them. So there you go- simple enough if they are actually available.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
So much wrong info in the this thread to sort out right now, I might get to it tonight.

FarmerD, you smoking that flat earth peace pipe as well?

D's don't need a press....

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
If you have a 35mm case you can't swap the bearings overs to a 40mm case.

If you swap the Y8 gearing into the Y7 case, you'll have to shim the mainshaft.

Easy button is to rebuild the Y8 and sell the Y7. You can order an MFactory LSD (stronger, lighter and less expensive than the Quaife) for either the 35mm or 40mm case from me (I had MFactory make all the D series fitments). Shoot me a PM to order.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mentioned the notchy 1-2 shift because I am pretty damned impressed that syncros with 200k on them work so well, better than most of the new gearboxes have had the change to row. I would be surprised if anything is bent or broken. I'll certainly keep an eye open for shifter fork issues if I take it apart again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get confused sometimes... But I could swear I used a shop to remove press or otherwise convince the differential bearings and one bearing in the case to become new ones instead of old ones. I'm always happy to be straightened out on stuff I get wrong.

So much wrong info in the this thread to sort out right now, I might get to it tonight.

FarmerD, you smoking that flat earth peace pipe as well?

D's don't need a press....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I have a mostly rebuilt Y7 transmission with recent 35mm bearings and I enjoy the ratios, why would I not use it?

I love the rare instance of "pick two: stronger, lighter or less expensive", being pick three.

I hope I do buy an LSD for you. Thnaks!

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
You already know the performance would be better with shorter gearing, so as long as you're happy with the current gearing there is no reason to change it since its a street car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O.K., good. Just a few years ago the 35mm LSD answer was not a good one. This car spends nearly all of its time on I-5 or fast 2 lanes roads. Burbling along in 5th and shifting to 4 or 3 and back is what actually happens day to day. Getting on the freeway with everyone pissed off going 75 makes being in 3rd at the beginning of the on ramp and leaving it there while jousting until 75-80 is highly desirable. Don't move to Portland Oregon. It's over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts