Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, not too long ago my headgasket blew....replaced that, checked head/block for warpage, replace thermo and radiator for the hell of it....so my car started tickin after it over heated and my instructor told me i was right about it bein my valves and i should adjust them......so i adjusted them in class one day to honda specs (z6) and it was fine, for a day.....so like a week later i redid them in garage to .001" tighter than honda spec and it sounded great, for a few days.........why is it that i fix the problem for a while and it just goes to shit again.....figured its cuz they werent torqued down, but how the hell am i sposed to get a tq wrench on the nut when i have to have the screw driver on the adjuster so it wont turn?....did i miss sumthin? do sumthin wrong?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
tq wrench for what????

screw driver and 10mm box wrench......

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
was the car hot or cold when you made the adjustments?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt use a tq wrench any of the times, just 10mm box wrench, screw driver and feeler gauge...but after a day or two it starts tickin again so i thought that i MIGHT have needed to tq them down???.......car was cold when i adjusted them......but i went out and did it again this morn and found that on cyl # 2 on the exhast side that one of the adj. nuts had seized up on2 its adj. screw....tried loosening it and stripped the nut!.....now i need to know what size nut 2 replace it with (inside diamater, thread pitch...).....or would the honda dealership have one?.....

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hand tighten the adjuster nuts then torque them. You really don't need to because its not much torque but I do anyways because I am by-the book on everything. As for the nuts, I would suggest a local parts yard that has a blow motor or two. You can usually get lots of hardware next to nothing. Get yourself some spare adjuster tappets too if you can.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
engine needs to be cold

not luke warm

cold...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
none of the yards round here have any z6's at all....are the adj. nuts the same on the z6 as on other 92-95 models?......and engine was COLD.......like, parked in garage overnight...no starting b4 adjusting....t'was cold

·
Registered
510 Posts
none of the yards round here have any z6's at all....are the adj. nuts the same on the z6 as on other 92-95 models?......and engine was COLD.......like, parked in garage overnight...no starting b4 adjusting....t'was cold
I think the nuts on the Z6 are the same as on my D15B2 head and thats like the most common engine in the damn junk yard. lol Take one of yours off and bring it with you to the junk yard to test it on the other honda heads there then pick away.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone know if the lock nuts on the adj. screws are interchangable in all d-series???

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
you sure you did it in the right order how the helms shows it???

firing order isnt 4-3-2-1

I THINK(correct me if im wrong) 4-2-3-1

·
Registered
510 Posts
anyone know if the lock nuts on the adj. screws are interchangable in all d-series???
I am pretty sure they are. They interchange between my D15B2 and D16Z6 at least

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
firing order is 1-3-4-2 actually....and yess i did it right......one of the lock nuts seized up on the adj. screw on one of the ex. rocker arms (cyl #2)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts