Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please explain how to read cels? im getting a check engine light when i hit 6k rpms and id like to know what goin on but i dont wanna pay dealer fees to have them check. sorry for the newb question but i couldnt find an answer. thanks in advance.
-anthony

·
Registered
287 Posts
also, if you dont know where your ecu is, just pull back the carpet on the pass side floor.. some models have a little window in the metal cover so you can see the light while others dont.. if it doesnt, use a 10mm socket to pull the plate off and check the blinks

H

·
0 Posts
Yup. Pull back the carpet by the ECU and find the jumper (mine is gray, should be the same in EGs). Take a paper clip and wire both ends into each socket on the circuit.

Turn the key ON (dont start engine) and count the blinks. 1 long = 10, 1 short = 1. Count those up and post what the code is. Or check yourself http://hondata.com/techecucodes.html

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
it's not really under the carpet... it's more under the right corner of the glovebox. The plug was sitting in a green rubber thingy. There'll be two plugs... get the one with 2 wires and jumper them.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
fix your vtec wiring. :) if you're sure it's right, then do some diagnostics on the solenoid itself.

Check the spool valve resistance (single terminal plug). From the plug to ground (anywhere metal) it should be 14-30 Ohms.

Then you need to check your oil pressure ... is it below 7 psi? at different rpms below vtec? Also check for continuity between the two pins on the vtec oil pressure plug.

Then hookup your positive battery to the spool valve connection. Rev to 5000rpms... is your oil pressure above 57psi? Check for continuity on the oil switch again.

If any of those fail, you need a new vtec solenoid.

But, seriously, it's probably your wiring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts