Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
Quick question. I had my car properly tuned last year...on ectune. I have an 8lb spring in my tial wastegate....but when it was dyno tuned...it only pulled 6.5lbs. My tuner explained that just because it's an 8lb spring...doesn't mean you will run exactly 8lbs. So my question is...can I put a bigger spring in (10lbs)....in hopes to run 8lbs like I originally wanted.....without a re-tune?
I ask this only because my tuner is kinda far away.
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Simple Answer NO! REtune NEEDED.

Complex.
The 8psi spring will open the wastegate when it sees 8psi. IF it is hook up to the turbo then it will open at 8 but the intercooler is dropping the pressure down for thats how you get 6.5psi
If you have it hook up after the intercooler but before the throttle( wastegates arent suppose to see vacuum) And your still getting a 1.5psi drop it could be the intercooler dropping it or wastegate flowing good.

And Yes your need a retune. Your only tune for 6.5 psi so any higher then that and your probably be running very rich or lean.

Bottom line retune needed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple Answer NO! REtune NEEDED.

Complex.
The 8psi spring will open the wastegate when it sees 8psi. IF it is hook up to the turbo then it will open at 8 but the intercooler is dropping the pressure down for thats how you get 6.5psi
If you have it hook up after the intercooler but before the throttle( wastegates arent suppose to see vacuum) And your still getting a 1.5psi drop it could be the intercooler dropping it or wastegate flowing good.

And Yes your need a retune. Your only tune for 6.5 psi so any higher then that and your probably be running very rich or lean.

Bottom line retune needed.
Okay thanks man. I appreciate it. I figured that would be the answer.
And the fitting for the waste gate signal is right off the cold side of the turbo...so it see's no vacuum at all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if he interpolated it, the map should be close enough to run without a retune. Do you have an AFR gauge?

Short answer, is it worth risking your engine over a 10-20 hp gain?
Ya I have a wideband.
And ya you're right....it's not worth blowing the engine over 1.5psi.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
You could richen the fuel tables up top. Then do some logs, and pull fuel as needed.

But a re-tune will be needed.

I'd just hold out, do some more mods you plan to do, then get 1 tune

1 - 8 of 8 Posts