Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you go about timing your engine after doing valve train work, i know a timing light is needed, but how is it used?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
not to be a dick but go to your local auto parts shop and buy a repair book. even the small $15 book has alot of info on how to do things. you dont have to wait for someone to tell you on the web, you will have that info with you at all times and its 15 bucks well spent.

set timing

jump service connector
hook up power to the timing light
hook up the clamp to #1 plug wire
point it at the crank pulley
adjust the postion of the distributor so the timing marks line up to the middle of the 3 lines on the crank pulley when the timing light flashes.

btw, the repair books have pictures.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude, no worries lol, you're not being a dick, got a lot of free time on my hands tomorrow so ill probably go pick one up, and do a few other things that really need doing. :TU:

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well since the work is going to involve removal of the cam and gear, along with the springs, to instal new, that will require removal of timing belt, and dont you have to adjuct timing after something like that?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
well since the work is going to involve removal of the cam and gear, along with the springs, to instal new, that will require removal of timing belt, and dont you have to adjuct timing after something like that?
You're talking about cam timing not ignition timing. Who is doing the head work?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i have a friend who knows honda engines inside and out, and he is gonna be doing it, and since im learning as i go, hes gonna show me along the way.

EDIT: i know its probably a crude way of doing things or learning them, but its really the only way i have to learn this stuff, and id prefer it this way as opposed to paying a shop to do it if i dont have to.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
i have a friend who knows honda engines inside and out, and he is gonna be doing it, and since im learning as i go, hes gonna show me along the way.

EDIT: i know its probably a crude way of doing things or learning them, but its really the only way i have to learn this stuff, and id prefer it this way as opposed to paying a shop to do it if i dont have to.
i think it is the best way.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya, im really wanting to get into hands on engine work, also wanting to go to school for it, so im learning from the ground up lol

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

yeah have fun man... if everything is stock then set the #1 piston to TDC, and have your friend show you how to set the head to TDC on #1 and put the two together.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
well im sure you know this but the obvious order in setting "timing" after the cam has been removed and/or timing belt
#1 -valve lash(valve clearances, some ppl refer to this is valve timing for some reason)
#2 -properly installing the timing belt so the camshaft and crankshaft are at the proper marks before anything further is done
#3 -once everything engine related is properly installed then its time for ignition timing which has everything to do with moving the distributor advanced(away from you) or retarded while the 2 prong connector is jumped with a paper clip

Just stating the obvious so please dont flame me if you already knew that.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im not one to flame people for good advice, whether its something i know or not, so no worries.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts