Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got question regarding the air filter on my turbo? does any here run a aluminum screen mesh on there turbo? I just like the sound of the turbo with out the filter! so is it safe to do this????

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I believe (don't hold me to it) I read on here about someone doing that and getting that nice little screen sucked into their snail...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i ran with just a screen for about 6 months, i wont do it again. the turbo was fucking filthy inside and all that dirt went into the engine.

if you can fit a filter, put one on.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
2,915 Posts
Yeah, the screen setup is mostly for track engines that will see a rebuild within a year or less. At least, thats what I would think...

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
And when you get a filter on there, make sure it's not a cheapo one with parts inside that can detach and run through the turbo. K&N FTW!

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
If you can run a filter then definately run one.
If you must run a screen, don'trun the soft "screen door" type stuff. I use aluminum screen and then layer it diagonally. It'll keep anything that is big enough to cause damage out and won't get sucked in by the turbo. You'll still pull in dust.

·
Ferio inspired
2,441 Posts
yeah i got your text earlier Jeff. def run a good sized filter (so as not to hurt performance) and call it a day.

Ernie runs the mesh D/D cause he just don't care how much crap he sucks in:noway:

·
Registered
38 Posts
my buddys teg is running straight open snail shell and you can see a swirl mark of dirt leading into the blades.. i run a filter and every time i take it off my blades are brand new looking.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
i had a turbo on my car for 3 days, when i first got it on, went and got it re street tuned because i was having problems with high boost cut...

needless to say on the way home i was doing a freeway run and sucked a rock into the turbo.. yes on the freeway, and it fucked up most of the blades imagine a turbo spinning fast enough to make 12 psi on a small t3 .42 .48 and then a rock getting sucked into it lol

run a filter

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
yeah my buddies 240sx he made a hood scoop to fit his turbo, you could see his turbo if you looked into it, welll long story short, dont ever follow behind semis....ping rocks at you! bye bye 1500$ turbo

·
Registered
408 Posts
yeah my buddies 240sx he made a hood scoop to fit his turbo, you could see his turbo if you looked into it, welll long story short, dont ever follow behind semis....ping rocks at you! bye bye 1500$ turbo
Your friend should be the president. He seems like a intelligent man.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts