Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered this for their D? I was going to get the weld it yourself kit. Has anyone done that, what did it cost to have it welded?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,391 Posts
why is this in diy?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because it might save money. I've done a budget build the whole way and I'm not going to start cheating out and paying retail now. Actually my original question was going to be was it pretty straight forward, but my uncle said he didn't feel comfortable welding it so I asked what we're others charged. If it doesn't save money then I'll order it already welded. If that wasn't obvious then perhaps I'm not the only illogical one. ?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
The logical path in this case would be to find a used manifold in the configuration you are looking for. The reason to get a kit would be to save yourself some labor cost. If you're planning on forking out money for labor anyway you would be better served by finding a quality used unit. Often you can find used tubular style manifolds for very good prices ... probably less than the kit.

Saves you money and you don't have to wait for someone else to weld it up for you.

The reason people on here buy stuff like that is to actually do it themselves. Since they have the fab skills it cost as much as they think their time is worth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't mind finding a used quality ramhorn, but I can't find any for sale. My log is fine but it's free power and I'll be switching turbos anyways.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
This may not be the best way to learn to weld, welding round stock in general is hard, then you need it to be strong.

I know the 250 dollars looks good for a budget build but spending 150 more and having a reliable setup sounds like a no brainer.

There are certain spots you can go cheap but you need knowledge first, or you end up breaking it and having a shop help fix it in the end, or giving up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's no way in hell I would use that to learn to weld. Lol. I just meant I need to learn to weld in general. It is an amazing skill and one that is super fkn handy in this hobby. We have a hydraulic-tube bender. Maybe I'll learn to weld by making tube doors or an exo-skeleton for my Jeep.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I dont understand the reason for an upgrade?
If everything works now why switch.
Then why buy a DIY kit if you are not going to do it yourself. Might as well just pay full price for one already done.
Then this doesnt go in DIY because its not a How to guide its a question about a diy item.

just my 2 cents on everything.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have 2 spare blocks I could use. I just need to learn how to weld honestly.
to learn to weld it properly you will need a tig machine and a purge setup and maybe like 1000 hours of practice at least or about a year.

you can mig weld it but no reason to use stainless. can build a cheap mild steel manifold for 100-200 bucks with a mig machine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This has been moved already. It was going to be a diy, I think I said that.

I'm upgrading because it's an extra 50hp just by sticking a new manifold on. I would post a dyno video but it won't let me paste on mobile?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
This has been moved already. It was going to be a diy, I think I said that.

I'm upgrading because it's an extra 50hp just by sticking a new manifold on. I would post a dyno video but it won't let me paste on mobile?
Work, money, time for 50hp.
Pssssh just up the boost.

And if you change manifolds your need to change also.

*edit
Hell a retune also

1 - 20 of 23 Posts