Tranny
ACT F1 RACING CLUTCH 6 PUCK $300
Fidanza flywheel 7.5 lbs $180
EX Tranny(sold locally) $200

Electrical
P06 ECU $60
OBD2->OBD1 Jumper $100

Turbo..already purchased
1g DSM turbo (15b it think? its small) intercooler and all. already purchased for $480 w/ y8 manifold and tb.

everything comes out to about $1800, i'm prolly missing some little things here and there, but right now this is what my ballpark setup is looking like. Eventually i will upgrade the turbo but this is what we're looking at right now. any input? thanks guys, looking to purchase these parts by the end of next week, after my built NA K is all done:beer:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Maybe he wants it to spool fast........Really fast. Dont knock the turbo, with a good tune it will add power and be a great learning experience for the next turbo. Also, he did say "Budget Build"

·
Registered
402 Posts
Oh and a 1st gen intercooler is next to useless if plan on making any power.
I don't think he plans on maxing out the power at this point, hence the "budget" part of the setup, which goes right along with the turbo size. The fact that it's intercooled at all is a plus for a turbo that small.

How much boost do you plan on running with this setup, and what are your power goals? That will help people gauge if what you have is going to be adequate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have to be fucking kidding about that tiny ass turbo right? If you are serious, leave the motor stock.
Eventually i will upgrade the turbo but this is what we're looking at right now.
you spend too much time on hmt. your attitude definately reflects that.

but to everyone else. we plan on running this setup for the time being (hence the budget), and hoping to get 180-200whp on 8-12psi. once everything is settled and installed is when we are going to swap out the turbo for a larger one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
good plans, i wanna build my engine too...

small turbos are good for instant response and daily driving, mine is an apexi and it seems small compared to my other friend's turbo..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

but to everyone else. we plan on running this setup for the time being (hence the budget), and hoping to get 180-200whp on 8-12psi. once everything is settled and installed is when we are going to swap out the turbo for a larger one.

You are right. We HMT guys build power. Why bother building the motor now though for such a low goal? A stock motor will handle that all day. It just seems like a silly way to spend money. Plus are you aware how Vitara's slap?

·
Registered
327 Posts

CS obviously shows his patience and intellect.

Hate to bread it to you CS Addict but your opinion is not fact and everyone dosnt have to agree with you. THE GUY HAS A GOOD----BUDGETsetup. If I were building a car I would put all of my $ into building a bullitproof engine and then budget the rest until $ permits more. And who says his GF is ready for a FWD car with more that 200 HP. Quit being a douche and relax on the negativity, you'll live longer.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
on a stock block/head with a comp clutch 450's and a decent tune i made 186whp on 6-7psi (interanally gated) that was on a block that had 140k on it as well!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Dont knock the turbo? Why build a block with a 14b? Thats a hair dryer up top at any reasonable amount of boost.
why use a dsm turbo and upgrade later? if you do that your either going to be stuck with an upgraded dsm flanged turbo or have to change the manifold and downpipe just to install any non-dsm turbo.

at lease pick a t3 based turbo so you dont really have to change anything except for the turbo when its time to upgrade.

·
Registered
74 Posts
And who says his GF is ready for a FWD car with more that 200 HP.
That is THE most important thing to consider here. I wouldn't want my GF messing with a FF vehicle with more than 150whp knowing that wheel spin is very apparent until i KNEW she could handle it. With the 14b, and 200whp+, girl driver(not trying to be sexest here), what more would you want or need from a street vehicle? But lets just say that 9 psi @ 200whp wasn't enough, they probably have another good 3-5 psi to play with before the turbo is considered maxed out.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i'd have to agree with CSADDICT, not to mention that vitara setup will give u lower compression. i'd save the money and keep the block stock with that turbo... find another block put ur vitara setup in and whne u change to bigger turbo change ur bottom end with it....:D

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
That is THE most important thing to consider here. I wouldn't want my GF messing with a FF vehicle with more than 150whp knowing that wheel spin is very apparent until i KNEW she could handle it. With the 14b, and 200whp+, girl driver(not trying to be sexest here), what more would you want or need from a street vehicle? But lets just say that 9 psi @ 200whp wasn't enough, they probably have another good 3-5 psi to play with before the turbo is considered maxed out.

wtf do you want then? you already have your mind made up, so do it.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Can't really get mad at someone when you ask for opinions on an open forum and it's not what you want to hear.Im in the built motor for a small dsm flanged turbo is a waste camp too.just leave it stock or if anything head studs and gasket.

Like koing said if your set on using a small ass turbo stick with some kind of smaller saab or whatever t3 so you won't be sol with different flanges later.It would most likely be the same price or cheaper and you would be under 200hp.

Still if your worried about her being able to handle the power in the first place then she most likely isn't ready so why even do it?.Me and my girl are building her car and I wouldn't even start a build and possibly waste $ unless I knew she could hanldle and use it wisely.Other wise its a waste of money.

Really what does being a girl have to do with hp?Plenty young rich guys that go to speed shops with moms money and wear their hats backwards wreck cars because they were not ready,or just couldn't drive worth shit.I know kelly on h-t's d series makes more hp for a sohc then anyone whos posted in this threads setup and shes a female.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts