Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, how you all doin?

I just started pulling apart on old Y8 block that I got out of my shed a couple weeks ago. I'm picking up an EG sedan pretty soon and was hoping to throw together a stockish block. mostly y8 head y7 pistons and a couple other little oem upgrades while I'm at it.

So I got the engine apart last night and got the girdle out and looking at the bearings they seem to be worn somewhat strangely, I was hoping somebody with more experience building engines could chime in on the wear pattern.

Auto part Transmission part Steel Machine Metal
Auto part Transmission part Steel Machine Metal
Auto part Transmission part
Auto part Crankshaft Flange Transmission part Automotive engine part

On the block side they don't have this weird darker section, they actually look pretty new, could this have been caused by sitting for an extended period of time? Are they fine? is something else messed up?

I can't feel any ridges or anything with my fingernail either on the crank or bearings.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think, or if you need more info.

thanks

Attachments

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,309 Posts
y's are known for spinning bearings, so that may be normal shit. you might have caught it in time if the crank is still good

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
y's are known for spinning bearings, so that may be normal shit. you might have caught it in time if the crank is still good
yeah I know the Y rep, I was more wondering about the specific wear pattern, it almost seems like there's a line of blackness that sort of stretches across the bearings, which I was kinda trying to find an explanation for. Especially once I got the crank out and the other bearing halves didn't have that marking pattern...the more I write this out the more I think it's because it was just sitting there for so long and the weight of the crank, even though it SHOULD be supported evenly, has weighed down on the bearings and worn them.

I'm going to stop now, I probably sound like a looney person

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,723 Posts
Like Rob said, it looks like a normal high mileage set run pretty normally. Those lower bearing shells are doing their jobs, they look normal. If crank is smooth, you should be in the clear.

Are you just trying to slap things back together without doing a proper rebuild? Its not going for anything performance related is it? Did the engine knowingly run OK before? No mechanical knocking or anything?

If so, just put bearings back exactly where they came but clean and relube everything with assembly lube. Inspect oil passages, and I would recommend taking the oil pump apart and inspecting it. If its scored to shit against the back housing and clearance between rotors doesn't spec out, get a new one before going back together for insurance. Then open up the new oil pump and pack the rotor cavities with assembly lube or Vaseline, to guarantee a good prime during initial crank up. Then change oil again after the first few warm up cycles.

It should be alright for at least a little while longer with that. Cross fingers!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Rob said, it looks like a normal high mileage set run pretty normally. Those lower bearing shells are doing their jobs, they look normal. If crank is smooth, you should be in the clear.

Are you just trying to slap things back together without doing a proper rebuild? Its not going for anything performance related is it? Did the engine knowingly run OK before? No mechanical knocking or anything?

If so, just put bearings back exactly where they came but clean and relube everything with assembly lube. Inspect oil passages, and I would recommend taking the oil pump apart and inspecting it. If its scored to shit against the back housing and clearance between rotors doesn't spec out, get a new one before going back together for insurance. Then open up the new oil pump and pack the rotor cavities with assembly lube or Vaseline, to guarantee a good prime during initial crank up. Then change oil again after the first few warm up cycles.

It should be alright for at least a little while longer with that. Cross fingers!

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually have new bearings, and seals and gaskets and stuff, with rings, but before going any further I wanted to know if the wear pattern was indicative of anything in particular or just normal wear.

The engine is supposed to have run, but I got it with no assurance that it was in complete working order as I got it with a transmission I wanted, like a package deal. I do have the oil pump on the bench lined up to check next, I was thinking about shimming it while I was in there as well. When I dropped the oil pan it didn't have any metal bits or shit in it, besides a couple bits of sealant, so the oil pump will hopefully be fine, but I'm still going to take it apart and check.

I'm not building a race engine or anything, just throwing together an OEM+ style rebuild, if that's a thing...and a small turbo kit, maybe, but maybe not, but not immediately...but anyways, it's going to be in a 4 door EG that I would like to have a bit more pep than the d15 auto combo currently provides...but for the price of the parts in my shed 😆

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.