Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets talk about how much I hate surging idle, i have pretty much tried everything to fix it.. why is it that honda's have this problem? almost every single one that i have seen does this???? especially after swaps

·
Registered
ej1
533 Posts
my friend has this same problem on his 94 hatch......surges eveytime time at an idle....we cant figure out what is wrong with it at all

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I to have a surging idle from 1k-3k rpms on my 91 crx hf. This happened when converting from obd0 to obd1. I tried adjusting the ignition timing, it goes away but if I turn off the car and start it up again then it surges again.

Btw my cold start idle is at 4200 rpms.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well you have air coming from somewhere after the throttlebody. So a vacuum leak of some sort. Start checking where the intake manifold bolts to the head and all around the manifold. You can use propane and see if the idle will drop down. Also spraying water and if that takes the idle down...then theres a leak at that point. The reason it surges is because the iacv is bringing the idle down, but your leak is letting in too much air for it to control.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
d16a6 power said:
Well you have air coming from somewhere after the throttlebody. So a vacuum leak of some sort. Start checking where the intake manifold bolts to the head and all around the manifold. You can use propane and see if the idle will drop down. Also spraying water and if that takes the idle down...then theres a leak at that point. The reason it surges is because the iacv is bringing the idle down, but your leak is letting in too much air for it to control.
already double checked everything, there are no leaks

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
singlecizam said:
yeah it is set at 45 with vacuum line off, and they are stock injectors
I would have it at 38-40 tops man..... but depends mine surges a few rpms only when its hella cold out tho....

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
With my searching idle, I eventually got it down to a mixture of things, FITV, IACV, fuel filter, and fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine leak on my vac lines.......

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
damn, i couldn't find it. i used to have a bookmark with a link to various causes of surging idles. it was on another forum...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts