Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeping it real short ::

-Live in San Diego where working on cars in the street is illegal.

- About to pull drive axels and motor in 95 Civ ex

Question :: When I pull the drive axels and motor, will I still be able to hook suspen. up to make the car able to lower onto the ground if I have to or do I have to get the new motor in and axels hooked up before I can lower the car??

·
Registered
16 Posts
it'd make sense to buy an engine first and get it in, so the body can adjust to the weight of the motor, then lower it. without the engine the suspension will lift a fews inches higher than normal. Hope you understand. n hope i helped.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
To my knowledge, the drive axles don't have to be in place, as long as the suspension is completely reassembled. I'd wait for bone's response though, he'd know better than me...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
if your rolling the car in a straight line, you don't need axles. If your turning you'd better have axles in it. The outer joint combined with the 32mm nut holds the wheel bearing togther. I've seen chassis' pushed around without axles be fine.

I've also seen a wheel bearing seperate.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
jesus tits. random answer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, I have the motor. It's a rebuilt d16z6, nothing special, stock. It's in my garage. What I unfortunately DON'T have is time. Working and school full time blows. on top of that, I don't know that the family I live with will let me live here much longer. Their youngest just got arrested and they are conservative. The car moves ONLY straight and ONLY like 2-5 feet. So What I am getting is that I should be ok if I am only rolling it back and forth like this and never turning the wheels. Thanks Transzex. Most helpful.

Again, the reason I ask is because I can't have the car on stands and I am extremely short on time.

·
Registered
EK 96
422 Posts
what you need is a garage so you can get things done..Can you rent a space for the car or in the house you are you can't get it on the garage in the time to get the motor in

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live with a friend. I have since I was 17 now. The problem is that the mom doesn't want to charge me rent, and the father wants me to pay the full 1200 for my one room. it's rediculous. The Car Just has to have four on the floor. It doesn't actually have to go anywhere. However, If a cop drives by and notices that there is a clutch pipe (The metal pre-shapped one) hanging below the car or that my belts still dangle because I haven't removed the engine mounts yet... I can get a "Move your car" notice in which I have to move the car 5 ft. We have 10 cars for the house hold and this is my only.

I just needed to know because at worst, I will be pushing the car 5 ft in a straight line. :: Shrugs ::

·
Registered
EK 96
422 Posts
i think you will be moving the car a lot .but you can remove the engine and just left the axle conected to de nut and remove the rest and hang the pipe from some where so they don't notice the engine is gone just the will see the car a few inches higher

·
Registered
424 Posts
When I pull a motor in my garage I have to push the out to let the motor down. Just put the struts and ball joints back together and you can push it anyplace you want. Remember, the front will sit up higher with no motor so people will know the car isn't running.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, new devolpments. I have opted to pay a fee to the owners of the house to have them let me use the driveway. Now comes the FUN problem...

Shiftlinkage. Two metal bars, one problem. The bar the connects to the tanny... There is a C bracket that holds it in place, You pull the bar out, then remove the retainer clip and the 8mm spring pin to release the bar and remove it completely from the car. (I hope that explains well enough). I can't get the Spring pin to pop out of the housing. Any suggestions??

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
8mm punch. An old 8mm bolt will work good too.
x2. Just popped mine out today, had a punch the same size and it just tapped out. Make sure it's flat on the end and doesn't go into the pin, otherwise it will push outward and spread the pin, making it harder to get out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts